Ten Episodes Of "Justice League" No Fan Should Miss

Celebrating fifteen years of one of the greatest superhero shows to grace television.

270
Comic Vine

More than fifteen years ago, a little show called “Justice League” came on the air on Cartoon Network. Like a lot of kids, I watched it, and like a lot of kids, it stuck with me to the present day. The show and its sequel series, “Justice League Unlimited,” did much to invigorate not only comic book television, but animation and television in general. To this day it is fondly remembered for well-developed characters, a comprehensive look at all corners of the DC Universe and compelling, gratifying storytelling. To celebrate the series' fifteenth anniversary, I’m recounting my favorite episodes from both “Justice League” and “Unlimited;" but don't worry, I’ll specify which episodes are from which series.

With that, let’s get out of the Watchtower and into the action. Here are my top ten “Justice League” and “Justice League Unlimited” episodes!

10. “The Greatest Story Never Told” from “Justice League Unlimited.”

Synopsis: While the leaders of the Justice League are battling the wizard Mordru, other heroes are on damage control. One such hero is Booster Gold, who longs for a chance to prove himself a great hero just like the heavy-hitters of the League.

Why It’s On The List: “Who is Booster Gold?” That’s exactly the question Booster Gold doesn’t want to hear, because he’s not too fond of the fact that he’s nobody compared to the likes of Batman or Superman. In this episode, he gets his chance to shine when a problem arises that the rest of the League cannot handle without abandoning countless lives. “The Greatest Story Never Told” does a brilliant job of communicating one of the primary purposes of “Justice League Unlimited:" to showcase lesser-known heroes of the DC Universe. What’s more, the episode is packed with plenty of thrills and laughs thanks to the loveable antics of Booster. The episode is a stellar side story, reminding us all that everyone can be a hero, with or without fame.

9. “Epilogue” from “Justice League Unlimited.”

Synopsis: Terry McGinnis, the Batman of the year 2039, discovers shocking truths about his origins. He also comes to understand the true ideology of the Batman.

Why It’s On The List: The DC Animated Universe that ends with “Justice League” and “Justice League Unlimited” started with one show: the Emmy Award-winning “Batman: The Animated Series.” This episode, which doubles as a conclusion to the “Batman Beyond” television series--itself a sequel to “Batman”--acts as a crescendo of sorts that pays homage to the Dark Knight who started it all. The episode is equal parts surprising, interesting and heartfelt, really resonating with those fans who have stuck with the DCAU since its humble yet impactful beginnings. Moreover, the episode does much to remind the audience just why Batman as an idea matters--and, unlike the hero’s mortal form, is timeless.

8. “Wild Cards” from “Justice League.”

Synopsis: The Joker rigs deadly explosive devices all around the Vegas Strip, and it’s up to the Justice League to stop him. Unfortunately for them, Joker has help in the form of the super-powered Royal Flush Gang.

Why It’s On The List: This is a pretty fun episode that is bolstered by a darkly funny, fourth-wall-breaking Joker and the passionate performance of actor Mark Hamill, who voices the Clown Prince of Crime. Even better are the performances of the voice actors playing the Royal Flush Gang; the world-weary will recognize the voices of Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven and Cyborg as they appeared in the much-beloved “Teen Titans” animated series. While that show never got to cross over with “Justice League” due to being set in a different universe and existing rights issues, having the Royal Flush Gang voiced by the Titans was a great nod to those fans wanting at least some reconciliation between the two shows. Beyond that, “Wild Cards” is an energetic and pulse-pounding episode that fans of the Joker will surely enjoy.

7. “Question Authority” from “Justice League Unlimited.”

Synopsis: The conspiracy theory-obsessed vigilante known as The Question uncovers a mad scheme to discredit the Justice League and foster their disassembly. When Question is held captive by government forces, Superman and Huntress take action to save him.

Why It’s On The List: There’s no place in the world for heroes when the world doesn’t want them. Such is the grim prospect facing The Question when, in this episode, he learns of a deadly scheme to take down the Justice League not through brute force, but through careful manipulation of events and key figures. “Question Authority” breaks away from typical superhero fare by posing this metaphorical threat, pitting heroes against one another and blurring the lines between good and evil. Additionally, it does a fantastic job of setting up the season finale arc of “Unlimited” with disturbing revelations about past events in the show and shocking new developments.

6. “Hereafter” from “Justice League.”

Synopsis: During a battle with Toyman, Superman is apparently killed in action. But Batman suspects there may be more to the Man of Steel’s supposed death than meets the eye.

Why It’s On The List: Just as “Death of Superman” did in the 90s, “Hereafter” asks what the world would do without a Superman. In short, it doesn’t look pretty, at least for the League. Forces from the alien planet Apokolips attack Earth, emboldened by the Man of Steel’s absence, and the violent and reckless bounty hunter Lobo forces the League to accept him as the new team leader. As Batman’s heartfelt goodbye to his dead friend solidifies, the League really does need Superman; he is the symbol of hope that all others rally behind, from the League to the common man, and he is an inspiration to all. The episode does a wonderful job of establishing a true rapport within the League, portraying them as more like a family than just a group of like-minded, tights-wearing adventurers. We also get a few surprises in terms of just how Superman bounces back from being killed; you didn’t really think he was dead, right?

5. “Kids’ Stuff” from “Justice League Unlimited.”

Synopsis: Mordred, the young son of the sorceress Morgan le Fay, casts a magic spell that erases adults from reality. The only ones who can stop him are Batman, Green Lantern, Superman and Wonder Woman--who have all been turned into children to protect them from Mordred’s spell.

Why It’s On The List: It takes a snake to catch a snake--or in this case, a child to catch a child. In this rather upbeat episode, we see a few Justice Leaguers in a more vulnerable state. Specifically, while they still have their powers and abilities, they are still kids, and unfortunately act like them too. Having Green Lantern geek out excitedly over his powers or Wonder Woman flirt with Batman on-the-playground style lets us see these familiar characters in an entirely new light. The episode makes every effort to reach the younger audiences watching the series just as much as the older viewers; the former audience will empathize with the junior JL, while the latter will have quite a laugh at the apparent inner immaturity of these heroes. “Kids’ Stuff” is an episode with a gimmick that sticks and is a great time from beginning to end.

4. “The Great Brain Robbery” from “Justice League Unlimited.”

Synopsis: When Doctor Fate attempts to extract precious secrets from the mind of the Flash, the latter accidentally switches bodies with the dastardly Lex Luthor. While the League must contend with a superspeed-enhanced Luthor, the Flash--inside of Luthor’s body--must fool the Legion of Doom into believing he is indeed their leader.

Why It’s On The List: “Freaky Friday” meets DC Comics in this hilarious episode. The writers of “Unlimited” must have realized how silly the premise of the episode is, considering that there aren’t any dark or mature elements present. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing; both “Justice League” and “Unlimited” have a ton of serious moments, so it’s good to have a laugh once in a while to know that this world of superheroics isn’t just doom and gloom. While it is amusing to watch Luthor abuse the Flash’s super speed to outwit the Justice League, it is even funnier watching the Flash epically struggle to play a convincing bald-headed egomaniac. “The Great Brain Robbery” is a fantastic example of a superhero story that embraces the diverse landscape of the superhero genre, acknowledging that in a world of practically limitless powers, anything can happen.

3. “Injustice For All” from “Justice League.”

Synopsis: Lex Luthor has been diagnosed with terminal cancer as a result of prolonged Kryptonite exposure, and he blames Superman for his misfortune. He allies with a group of powerful supervillains to get even with Superman and the Justice League.

Why It’s On The List: To take down a team like the Justice League, you’re going to have to bring out the big guns. Lex Luthor realizes this, assembling a team of particularly dangerous individuals like the colossal zombie Solomon Grundy, the cosmic-powered Star Sapphire and even--albeit reluctantly--The Joker. And pose a threat this Injustice League does, able to match the power the Justice League can dish out. The nail-biting conflict raises the stakes even higher when Batman is taken down and held hostage by the villains, forced to watch as his teammates are obliterated. Featuring stunning action, great drama and some seriously badass moments from the Dark Knight, “Injustice For All” is an episode that keeps things rolling at a bullet train’s pace with all of the force involved.

2. “Starcrossed” from “Justice League.”

Synopsis: Hawkgirl’s people, the Thanagarians, arrive on Earth with the intent of protecting its people from invasion. But these visitors quickly turn into hostile invaders themselves, and in the midst of a desperate battle between the alien empire and the League, Hawkgirl must choose a side.

Why It’s On The List: This sendoff to the initial “Justice League” series seeks to close things on a bang, featuring three epic chapters instead of the usual two, and pitting the League against an enemy greater in size and capability than any other in the series up to that point. When the winged warmonger Thanagarians effectively take over the planet, the League are left to devise a desperate plan to boot the bird people off-world, and it is equal parts heart-pounding and exciting to see how the League will fight back. But perhaps the best-executed aspect of the episode is the dilemma facing Hawkgirl as she must effectively choose between her homeworld’s people or the planet she has come to love, respect and protect. It’s an inner conflict with an emotionally satisfying conclusion that will stick with you, guaranteed. “Starcrossed” is a rousing, thunderous end to the brilliance that is the original “Justice League.”

1. “A Better World” from “Justice League.”

Synopsis: The Justice League enter an alternate universe policed by the Justice Lords, parallel versions of themselves. While this other universe is one practically devoid of crime, it is also one controlled by a totalitarian regime--with the Justice Lords' Superman at its head.

Why It’s On The List: This complex episode solidifies all of the great strengths of “Justice League”: the mature writing and themes, meaningful character development and vastly original ideas. Here in this episode, we see a rather interesting connection between the two Justice teams. The Justice Lords are the bad guys here, but they’re also individuals who want to keep the world safe at any cost--just like the regular Justice League. It’s this crippling paradox that makes the episode hit hard and makes us question our heroes’ methods and end goals. “A Better World” is a fantastic piece of fiction that grimly explores the limits of enacting change and the consequences of passing those limits.

Fun, exciting and simply unforgettable, "Justice League" still stands fifteen years later as one of the greatest comic book television series ever made. The amount of heart and effort put into each episode and story arc is something I think future DC Comics-related projects should take note of; I see this show as an inspiration for future adaptations involving this comics universe. I'm certainly glad I had access to Cartoon Network all those years ago, or otherwise I wouldn't have discovered this awesome series.