Don't Skip These 10 Awesome Anime Openings

The top ten best intros in anime.

928
YouTube

I’m what you would call a pessimistic anime fan. I look at the market for anime television shows and I see quite a lot of look-alikes; there just aren’t that many shows that are appealing, original or eye-opening. As a result, I’ve become quite picky when it comes to choosing which anime to sit down and binge next, and the process of deciding whether or not to commit to a given series boils down to “will I watch past Episode Three?” As you can tell, it’s hard being an anime fan like me.

The point I’m getting at is that in this industry, first impressions are essential. Thus, an anime’s opening sequence typically has to be up-to-par with whatever show it is attached to. These ten songs below are what I feel to be the industry’s most memorable, most creative and most compelling openings, really selling the shows they belong to in the hopes of capturing new viewership. In fact, these songs and their openings have attracted many fans, thus making them even more worthy of being noted on the list. Without further ado, here are my top ten anime openings of all time!

10. “A Cruel Angel’s Thesis” from “Neon Genesis Evangelion.”

Performed by: Yoko Takahashi

I really don’t like “Neon Genesis Evangelion.” I think it's overblown, pretentious, needlessly cynical and doesn’t develop its story or characters enough. Its opening, ironically, is compelling, contrary to the show’s actual content. A mysterious, choir-like beginning gives way to a catchy, infectious beat and lyrics that speak to the show’s core themes. The visuals involved are pretty great too, with colorful, distinct characters, important-looking symbols and imagery and the uniquely designed mecha and creatures featured in the series. With how impressive and engaging the opening is, it’s a shame the show is so dull and lifeless.

9. “We Are” from “One Piece.”

Performed by: Hiroshi Kitadani

“One Piece” is an anime that has had many openings over its twenty-plus year run, but the best is its inaugural opening, “We Are.” The song is an upbeat, intrepid theme that perfectly reflects the high-seas adventures and far-reaching ambitions of the loveable Straw Hat Crew. We’re treated to numerous action shots of our heroes, all as the song proclaims that excitement awaits both the characters and the audience. Fun, lighthearted and sincere, “We Are” is a memorable tune that just makes you want to set sail.

8. “The Hero!! Set Fire To The Furious Fist” from “One Punch Man.”

Performed by: JAM Project

“One Punch Man” is a show that is not for people who enjoy the conventional. Fitting then, that its opening is insane, radical and not at all normal. This heavy metal theme and the accompanying visual sequences smack audiences about as hard as protagonist Saitama’s deadly punches. The senses are assaulted with non-stop action and destruction, reflecting Saitama’s staggering power, and every second of it is over-the-top, yet brilliant. “The Hero!!” is a reckless, ridiculous and head-banging opening that is just the right fit for a tongue-in-cheek superhero romp.

7. “Guren No Yumiya” from “Attack on Titan.”

Performed by: Linked Horizon

This famous anime opening blends gripping orchestra with hard-hitting rock to create a song that ties into the dire circumstances of the story of “Attack on Titan.” The visuals and audio are brimming with ominous and intense overtones, evoking the very real threat that the gigantic Titans pose to humanity. By the time the chorus comes around, we see and hear the collective response of humanity: that is, to kill every Titan in sight. It’s a level of awesome few anime openings are able to achieve, but one that rock band Linked Horizon is able to accomplish flawlessly. “Guren No Yumiya” is a song so powerful, it could kill a Titan in a single strike.

6. “Colors” from “Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion.”

Performed by: Flow

The decidedly colorful overtones of this song are somewhat in conflict with the dark themes of “Code Geass,” yet I can’t imagine the anime having a different theme. It’s the lyrics that truly sell it, evoking the struggle of our protagonist, Lelouch, as he seeks to use his superhuman power of Geass to reform the world around him. “Colors” works so well because it is so central to Lelouch’s character and what he hopes to achieve; we’re led to wonder if he really can change the world, and are intrigued to see what will happen in his quest. “Colors” is an energetic and inspiring opening that gets us pumped up for Lelouch’s revolution in the making with well-drawn visuals and a tune that is likely to stick in your head for a while.

5. “Raise Your Flag” from “Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.”

Performed by: Man With A Mission

The premise of “Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans” sees the Lost Boys-like mercenary outfit Tekkadan trying to rail against a government full of corruption and apathy. Man With A Mission’s “Raise Your Flag” evokes the rebellious emotions of the boys’ army, using fast-paced rock and building in intensity over time to make us embrace the soul of rebellion. There’s a hopeful note to it too, making us sympathize with the long-term dreams of Tekkadan and their allies as they all fight for a world made equal, fair and peaceful. Empowering, bold and awe-inspiring, “Raise Your Flag” stands tall and unwavering, just like the titular Gundam mecha.

4. “Rise” from “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.”

Performed by: Origa

While the first opening for “Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex” is great, I believe “Rise,” the opening of the show’s second season, to be much better. Singer Origa uses both English and Russian to indirectly tell us the story of Public Security Section 9: a military-like, technologically advanced team of investigators living in a high-tech society where nothing is ever black-and-white, especially in the search for justice. The techno sounds in the background give the song the futuristic edge it needs to truly fit in with the sleek futuristic Japan the show is set in. Accompanying the song is the beautiful animation from studio Production I.G., showing a mixture of action shots and artistic imagery that perfectly capture the action thriller and philosophical sides of the series. “Rise” gets you hyped for the action, the mystery and the deep ideological discoveries of “Stand Alone Complex.”

3. “Unravel” from “Tokyo Ghoul.”

Performed by: TK

The first opening of "Tokyo Ghoul" admittedly was one that I didn’t like at first. But after only two more viewings of the opening, I gave into the breathy, mysterious intro and the emo/goth main course of “Unravel.” The change of heart came from really studying this opening’s visuals and audio in the same way an art critic would study a painting. The brushstrokes and color palette of the first “Tokyo Ghoul” opening, I found, are bold, grim and intense, just like the anime it accompanies. Well-animated characters, designs and backdrops populate the opening; watching these elements in motion is very pleasing to the eye and manages to stir up plenty of interest in the dark world that the anime portrays. While the grimdark aesthetic may seem too much at first glance, this opening beautifully complements the mature and compelling elements of “Tokyo Ghoul.”

2. “Tank!” from “Cowboy Bebop.”

Performed by: The Settles

If you’re a kid who grew up with Toonami, there’s a 99% chance you know this song and that you love it as much as I do. Bursting with James Bond levels of suave and boasting striking visuals and colors, “Tank!” is an opening befitting of a revolutionary anime like “Cowboy Bebop.” The instrumentals provided to The Seatbelts by legendary composer Yoko Kanno are hum-worthy, toe-tapping goodness from start to finish, and properly prepare you for the adventurousness of the anime. From the trumpets to the drums, everything in this opening pops with life and flavor, much like the memorable crewmembers of the titular Cowboy Bebop. Vibrant, original and full of fun, “Tank!” is an opening that’s as cool as Spike Spiegel.

1. “Again” from “Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.”

Performed by: Yui

This drop-dead gorgeous opening tells a harrowing and gripping story: the tale of the Elric brothers, two alchemists who, after a sinful choice that almost cost them their lives, must embark on a quest of redemption and repentance. The beauty of singer Yui’s performance is more than capable of taking us through the Elrics’ plight wholly, capturing their experiences through skillful vocal articulation. On top of that, we have marvelous visuals and delightfully varied character designs to look at; these visuals are compelling, fit perfectly with the song and are animation landmarks in themselves. Overall, “Again” does a fantastic job of opening one of the best anime of all time, fully capturing the essence of the emotional and intriguing story of the anime it belongs to.

There are plenty of other openings besides these ones that are great, of course. But alas, this is only a list of ten. One thing, however, can be universally agreed upon: that anime, from its earliest days to the present, has found many creative ways to catch audience interest with well-directed, well-animated openings.