You're Unhappy If You're Single - Daniel Sloss
relationships

If You're Single, You're Unhappy

After actively deciding to procrastinate on my homework this morning, I started to watch a comedian who has been advertised to me a lot lately - Daniel Sloss.

306
Daniel Sloss

I love finding new comedians. It always makes it worthwhile to discover someone who discusses and makes jokes about topics that have been recently relevant in my life.

After actively deciding to procrastinate on my homework this morning, I started to watch a comedian who has been advertised to me a lot lately — Daniel Sloss.

Daniel Sloss looks like any other basic, straight white male comedian. He pretty much fits that definition (basic), but for some reason, his two specials (both an hour long) stood out to me more than most.

In his first special he mostly talks about his opinions on religion and the death of his younger sister. The second special, however, focuses on his hatred of veganism and a discussion of societal expectations with romantic relationships.

The first one was okay (his sense of humor is pretty dark, so it made me laugh quite a bit more than most generic comedians), but the second one resonated with me because of one particular thing that he said.

During his bit about relationships and dating, he explained that society has taught us that in order to be happy, in order to feel whole and complete, we have to be in a relationship. We have to find "the one."

I ran into this idea quite a bit within the past year or so. Specifically, during a conversation at dinner with my family, I mentioned that I didn't want to get married or have kids and my little brother responded with, "You're going to have a sad, lonely life, then."

This shook me a little; not in the sense that it bothered me as in, "Oh my god, I think he's right," but more like, "It's sad that he thinks I need another person to make myself happy."

Of course, during the actual conversation I tried to explain exactly that, but I don't think he really believed me.

Anyhow, as I was watching this comedy special, and this topic suddenly popped up again, I felt kind-of relieved and relaxed — like I had been waiting for someone to acknowledge this perspective.

He explains why it's okay to be single. He also manages to say, many times, that most relationships don't work out and hands the audience statistics and other direct explanations to prove his point.

This isn't something that most people like talking about, because we're trained to believe that this is untrue, so it feels wonderful to actually hear someone addressing it for the first time in forever; he's got a great sense of humor and a brilliant delivery throughout each show, which makes it even better.

Some of his actions during the second performance almost reminded me of Bo Burnham at times too, but that's a whole other discussion.

Either way, Sloss perfectly describes and explains everything that I've been thinking and struggling with about relationships for a while now; I think I just needed to hear it out loud.