Being Single On The Loviest-Doviest Day Of The Year Is Nothing A Nicholas Sparks' Movie Can't Fix

Who wouldn't want to spend their Valentine's Day watching Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams?

134
New Line Cinema

When you're a kid Valentine's Day is awesome. It means decorating a shoebox to fit your personality, picking out cool cards with holographic dogs to pass out to your friends, and eating all of the 'fun size' candy bars and lollipops you can imagine. You get to have a class party and eat pizza and drink a Strawberry-Kiwi Caprisun while listening to Kidz Bop with your closest friends.

You get to go home and show your mom all of the Bratz dolls and Disney Princess cards you got from all the girls in your class and all the superhero and Star Wars ones from the boys. You get to end your day watching some dorky Disney Channel Original Movie about two teens who fall in love while your nine-year-old self-eats 10 heart shaped suckers. Life is perfectly good. You love your parents, your siblings, your dog, and Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid. You don't need any more love.

As you get older you start to realize that Valentine's Day isn't actually for having a decorated shoe box and a pizza party. It's supposed to be a day dedicated to how much you love your significant other. But, what if you don't have a significant other?

Not having a significant other for the holiday that puts all couples on a pedestal can make you feel pretty bad at times. Reading cute stories about surprise dates and seeing the overly ginormous teddy bears girls received can kind of make you feel like you're going to be alone forever.

Well... it's really not all that bad. Sure, you might not have someone you're dating to go eat a fancy meal with, but that doesn't mean you can't still have a great day. I've never ever had a valentine and I still love Valentine's day. I still like to paint my nails red, decorate my dorm room with foam hearts, and wear pink eyeshadow. There's nothing wrong with spending the day with people that you aren't dating that you love. There's a reason Leslie Knope loves Galentine's Day so much. Being single means you can spend some time with your best gals pals eating half-priced chocolate on February 15th and watching every Nicholas Sparks' movie to date.

There's no point in getting upset about not having someone super special to share the day with. It can seem like a big deal for a few weeks that all your friends have dates and you don't. But, in the grand scheme of things? Does it really matter?

Whether you're single or not... who wouldn't want to spend their Valentine's Day watching Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams confess their love for each other?