Welcome​ to the Roaring 20s!

Today is literally the first day of the new year and I've got plans to make, things to do, and people to see/meet. This year is going to be a busy one as I set myself up for my future even more and even look to bigger, brighter things. Although I guess this begs the question: how am I going to accomplish everything that I want to? The answer is quite simple and lies in the resolutions I've made.

Everyone makes New Years resolutions. But, the question is: will you actually complete your goals? Most of the time, everyone's resolutions revolve around health and wellness, sometimes even professions and/or academics, so they can better themselves physically and mentally. Of course, as your average nineteen year old, about to turn twenty in three months, twenty-eight days, and four hours (but who's counting?), I've got plenty of things lined up for the rest of the year. So, here are some of my personal goals (that I will hopefully be able to share updates on throughout the year!), which while not strictly academic, will hopefully provide a better mindset and attitude towards my life---

1. Waking up at a decent time

If you know me, then you know that I love to sleep in. And as a college student? There is nothing better than being able to sleep a few extra minutes, let alone hours, when you don't have classes to get to so early in the morning. But, doing this just means that there is less time in the day for me to actually get things done. So, I want to switch it up. Instead of having to rush to complete assignments or stay up super late (like 3 or 4 am late), I want to be able to get up early and check things off my to-do list. Not only this, but I would be able to eat breakfast, which is not my favorite meal but arguably (and backed up by science) the most important meal of the day. Waking up at a decent time, also, kind of feeds into my next goal, as well so I kind of hit two birds with one stone ;)

2. Actually start getting in shape

I'm not going to say that I want to be athletic and want to get super into fitness. However, after living in a dorm that has no elevator, forcing me to take three (sometimes four, if I'm coming up from the basement) flights of stairs, I've come to the conclusion that I really need to start working on getting in shape. As a young adult, I really should not be getting winded from such little physical activity. Now, I don't see myself hitting the weights or doing anything extreme like that, but Rutgers makes it extremely easy to exercise but providing different work out classes for students. I've been to a few Zumba classes here and there, as well as (what I think [from my memory] and remember) a single BodyCombat class. But, I really want to get into yoga (a little homage to my previous goal-- these classes are at 8am lol) and maybe even spin class. There are so many options available, and to be honest? Even if I don't go, I still get in plenty of cardio thanks to the fact that lecture halls and classrooms are incredibly far from bus stops and my dorm has no elevator!

3. Eating healthier

I'm not saying that I want to diet. In fact, its quite the opposite. I absolutely love food and will absolutely never be able to give anything up. Also as an Asian? Rice is legit a staple and something I ate almost on a daily basis soooooo... The thing is while I won't be skipping meals (except maybe breakfast because I don't wake up early enough at the moment), I want to eat a lot healthier. That means limiting the sugars and carbs that I eat and focusing on ways to incorporate healthy fats and proteins. While this is a little difficult at Rutger, especially with Brower being my main source of food, I'm looking to figure out ways to do this at home while I can. So, I've snacked on a heck ton of fruit instead of salty chips, and lessened how much carbs I've been eating!

So these are my three main goals. They're relatively small in comparison to other goals I could've come up with. But, they are such small changes that I can make in my life that can and will have a huge impact on my day. Attempting to do these things, even at least three or four days out of the week will help me stay energized and motivated as they provide small milestones for me. These goals don't require too much to accomplish, making them perfect as I look to complete other tasks and apply to a bunch of internships and opportunities!

With love,

Arielle :)