To The Sierra Burgesses Of The World, You Are Not A Loser

To The Sierra Burgesses Of The World, You Are Not A Loser Just Because You're Not A Rose

"But I'm a sunflower, a little funny. If I were a rose, maybe you'd want me."

1169
https://www.netflix.com/watch/80239639?trackId=14292320&tctx=0%2C0%2C2882ab43-04ef-44ab-a91a-8c0bab5f5f1f-163385%2Cf347d81e-09c3-470c-ade9-d3a880372854_112422093X19XX1536363244538%2Cf347d81e-09c3-470c-ade9-d3a880372854_ROOT

From one sunflower to another,

I'm sorry, what does that even mean? If you've watched Netflix's latest film, 'Sierra Burgess is a Loser,' it means you're different and reaching towards the sun wishing to be seen.

I've been waiting for this movie to come out ever since Netflix released the trailer. Finally, a movie with an outcast that actually fit the description of an outcast. Someone we can actually identify with, am I right?

tumblr.com

She's not Hilary Duff in 'A Cinderella Story' nor is she Mandy Moore in 'A Walk To Remember.' I mean these so-called outcasts fit the bill for the perfect and ideal societal beauty. And as much as we love them, we can't all relate to them.

Shannon Purser, as beautiful and talented as she is, made me excited for a possible rom-com that's relatable. And I REALLY wanted to like it, but the film came up short in many different ways.

Sierra Burgess, I totally feel how you feel and understand why you did what you did. You're longing for human connection, but afraid of what Peter Kavinsky Jamey might think of you. A lot of people don't understand why you resorted to catfishing, but I almost do. Almost being the operative word, because even on my most insecure days, I've NEVER felt the need to do it. You took it WAAAY too far. And because of it, your story doesn't do our story justice. Our story, the Sierra Burgesses of the world, is still waiting to be told.

If we could forgo the rom-com aspect, I'd accept this film as a good one. The friendship between two unlikely but insecure people is a real and powerful thing. It's about holding up your friends, your sisters if you will, despite what society tells you to think.

img.buzzfeed.com

Sierra is a 'loser.'

Veronica is 'too pretty to be smart.'

When they stand by each other, it's about forgetting the labels or forgetting society. And I stand by it, if this was just about friendship, it's a solid story.

But the catfishing, the nonconsensual kissing, and hiding your identity just spoonfed us this lie that our insecurities are valid.

We'll have to forgive Noah Centineo because he gave us the amazing Peter Kavinsky and Jamey just can't live up to him. Jamey, the oh-so-charming lead, said it himself at the end: "I get why you did it. And honestly, had we not met the way that we had maybe I wouldn't have noticed you. I mean, you're not exactly everybody's type...but you're my type."

img.buzzfeed.com

And there we have it, Sierras! We're not ideal, so the catfishing was totally valid. Might as well, roll over and thank our lucky stars because the HOT guy wanted us, we're his type.

Are you kidding me?

Now, I understand that's not entirely what he was saying, but it's not the romantic and swoon-worthy scene we wanted either. It's teaching insecure girls that even though we shouldn't hide, it's completely understandable why we do.

Can you see how the story is problematic?

The film is so close in some areas, but just because this film misses the mark doesn't mean we have to!

If you've watched the movie, you've heard the catchy and relatable song "Sunflower." Now, this one will make you feel like someone out there is actually in touch with the world and understands us.

We all know what it's like to compare ourselves to HER, the perfect and beautiful rose. The girl that's everything we're not. The song captures that emotion. But like the movie, the song isn't exactly finished.

It's missing the verse where the sunflower girl realizes how beautiful it is to be unique and learns to love herself without the validation from some hot guy or anyone else in some perfect ideal society.

I like sunflowers and roses just as much as the next girl, but I'm probably more of a daisy. I'm not a brave, sunshine-y flower growing tall nor am I a rose straight out of a magazine. A daisy suits me better because it's a small invasive little weed, with a pretty face and innocence about her.

You might be a sunflower, a rose, a daisy, or whatever the heck you choose to be.

The point is you get to BE YOU because there's nothing more beautiful than loving yourself and loving others for who they are.