The Oldest, But Not The Only: The Responsibility Of Being An Older Sibling
Siblings

Being a role model is the most powerful form of education.

87
Jasmine Lollino

For four years of my life I was an only child, I remember absolutely nothing of that time. I vaguely remember my little brother being born, but I can confidently say I can't remember life without him.

My brother is the greatest person I know. Not to get all morbid, but he is the reason I keep going when I feel like I just can't. I am thankful to have such a close relationship with my brother because not every bunch of siblings has that same experience.

Fourth of July 2017Jasmine Lollino

One of my favorite things is when people ask me about my brother, I could talk about him forever. How he's doing in baseball. How he's enjoying marching band. How he's an upperclassman in high school already. How he's eagerly looking into colleges. How he's killing the academic game. How he's becoming this amazing young man.

As the older sibling, I hold myself responsible for a lot when it comes to my younger brother. I hold myself to an incredibly high standard, in hopes that he'll do the same. Part of the reason I moved to Florida was to show my brother he can follow his dreams too. I made sure I set the tone for him, so he knows our parents are cool with us doing whatever we want in life. I make sure I keep open communication with my brother so he knows I am there for him through it all.

Color run 2018Jasmine Lollino

One of my favorite memories of living with my brother was going to his baseball games. I, of course, loved going to his band concerts too, but seeing him play baseball was always far more heartwarming as I was closer to him. The audience is farther from the stage than a crowd is from a little league baseball field. As I said before, I have an amazing relationship with my brother. If he was upset during a game, my mom would send me to go talk to him to make sure he was okay and to reassure him. The same would happen at my gymnastics meets. The only person I would ever acknowledge was my brother. I am the only person he ever acknowledges at his games. When we're in game mode, we still look to each other for support.

I'm his biggest fanJasmine Lollino

I make it a goal of mine to be the absolute best person for my brother. I push myself to work hard and try new things so he knows he can do it too. I know my brother looks up to me, and I hope he feels proud of me. I want him to have the same opportunities I did, I want him to follow his dreams and eventually reach them. I wish him all of the success he could possibly achieve.

While I have graciously paved the way for my little brother, I am excited to see him grow into his own person. He is sixteen now. He will be getting his license soon. He will be taking the ACT this coming school year. He will be looking into colleges (more seriously). He will be making steps towards his own future. He will be paving his own path, and I was blessed enough to watch him begin it.

Go, Cubs, go!!!Jasmine Lollino

As the older sibling, I hold myself to a high standard because I am setting an example for another person. As the older sibling, I learn so much from my younger sibling. I cannot wait until he starts his own journey to his dreams. I will be there every step of the way, always.