15 Shows From Your Grandparents' And Parents' Generation You Need To Watch

Every episode will have you laughing or crying, or both!

2282

I never grew up watching Spongebob Squarepants or the Fairly Odd-Parents, instead, I watched shows with famous comedians and people with amazing talent. Same with the movies I grew up with, and some of those movies and shows are still and always will be some of my favorites.

I compiled a list of shows that I grew up watching from my parents and their parents generation that I think everyone should keep in mind when looking for the next show to watch.

1. "I Love Lucy"

Lucille Ball is a comedy star! Her show about living life as the wife of famous Ricky Ricardo, played by her husband in real life Desi Arnaz, will for sure have you laughing. From the infamous chocolate factory scene to her schemes with neighbor Ethel Mertz, "I Love Lucy" is a classic that will bring at least a smile to your face.

2. "I Dream of Jeannie"

This was a favorite of mine growing up. The hilarious situations that Jeanie gets her master, Tony, into are absolutely amazing. I loved the magic to it and the humorous characters, Dr. Bellows, Roger Heley, and Tony Nelson, who all work at NASA.

Jeannie seems to continuously make small mistakes that cause Tony all kinds of trouble, usually witnessed by Dr. Bellows, a psychiatrist, who is starting to believe either Tony or himself is going mad.

3. "Gilligan's Island"

This show is a sure fire way to make me laugh. It follows seven characters who went on a 3 hour tour and find themselves shipwrecked on an uncharted island. It's amazing some of the ideas they're able to come up with as they try to survive and get off the island.

4. "The Brady Bunch"

I'm sure almost everyone has heard of this one because of it's popularity. It's a really sweet and often comedic show about the shenanigans of a large family of 8, not including Alice the housekeeper. The show is definitely worth a watch, it's much better than the movie.

5. "Leave it to Beaver"

"Leave it to Beaver" wasn't my ALL TIME favorite show to watch growing up, but now that I'm older and watch the occasional episode, I find it a lot more funny. It follows the mishaps of young Theodore, nicknamed Beaver because his older brother couldn't pronounce his name correctly when he was younger.

Some of the situations Beaver and his friends get into are quite funny and will have you cringing to think how much trouble he's causing.

6. "Bewitched"

This one I can say was one of my ALL TIME favorites. It might be the reason I love Harry Potter so much, I guess you could say I've always been really into the idea that magic exists. However, "Bewitched" is really nothing like Harry Potter.

It follows housewife, Samantha, who is a witch married to a mortal man, Darrin. Her family is against the idea and causes her and her husband into all sorts of havoc that she naturally has to sort out by using her powers, that she promised to keep to a minimum.

Once again, the movie is nothing like the show, apart from a witch wanting to live in the mortal world.

7. "Green Acres"

This show is very humorous as it follows a city couple who move to the country and find it is nothing what they thought it would be. It being the husband's idea he adjusts better to the life, but his wife has some difficulties leaving her spoiled city life behind.

Some of the things they go through, like climbing a telephone pole to make and receive phone calls or babysitting their neighbor's pet pig, is absolutely laughable.

8. "Family Ties"

Starring a young Michael J Fox, this show is a charming and funny show for the family. Its a story of two previously hippie parents who still support their beliefs, with a son who's hero is Richard Nixon, a stereotypical teenage girl, and their youngest daughter who is the complete opposite of her sister.

It's a feel-good show that teaches some of the best life lessons.

9. "The Love Boat"

For anyone who loves cheesy romantic-comedy chick flicks, this is the show for you. With a bunch of different guest stars and a new love story(ies) every episode, this classic is one you need to check out!

10. "The Andy Griffith Show"

Starring, you guessed it, Andy Griffith, as well as a young Ronnie Howard, and the famously hilarious comedian Don Knotts whats not to like about this show?? Some of the situations this sheriff, but mostly deputy, of the small town of Mayberry, get themselves into is hilarious.

It's got some great morals to each episode, but the comedy is more prominent.

11. "Golden Girls"

This show is.. well, golden! Betty White in herself is golden, but her and her three costars in this show are absolutely amazing! Every episode will have you laughing or crying, or both!

12. "The Dick Van Dyke Show"

Another show yet again named after the main star because, well, who doesn't know who Dick Van Dyke is. If you don't watch this show! And Mary Poppins!

13. "Mork and Mindy"

Young Robin Williams as an alien... do I need say more?

14. "Hogan's Heroes"

Set in a German prisoner of war (POW) camp during World War II, this comedy is one to for sure check out. It follows a group of American prisoners who aren't really prisoners at all, as the German leaders aren't very bright. Hogan and his posse escape the camp several, several times but always come back because they have sorta become the inside men and the Germans have no idea.

They have communication radios to their commanders and tunnels leading out of the camp. It's really quite humorous some of the things they're able to get away with.

15. "Dharma and Greg"

You know what they say, opposites attract! And that is the exact situation of Dharma and Greg. Dharma comes from two extremely hippie parents and she's inherited a lot of their traditions and has the most amazing personality ever. Greg comes from a prim and proper rich family who never step a toe out of line.

Together though they make the CUTEST COUPLE EVER! They're so in love with each other and get into all sorts of mischief, usually prodded on by Dharma, and Greg tries to be rational but loves it because of how much he loves her.

It's really very a good show. It is from the late 90's early 2000's but I've never met someone who's watched it, so I thought I'd include it.