A Shout Out To Spotify's "Discover Weekly"

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain" -Bob Marley
46

If you know me at all, you know I am constantly and actively searching for new music. I am the type of person that needs new music on a weekly basis to avoid getting stuck in a musical rut. Spotify, with their “Discover Weekly” playlist, has not only been my saving grace but has completely figured out my taste in music. Every week I look forward to my “Discover Weekly” playlist because I know I am guaranteed new music that I will fall in love with.

Anything from ABRA’s “Roses” to Frank Ocean’s “Pink + White” Spotify has provided. Spotify offers ample opportunities for us to be active music absorbers. They give us an abundance of new ways to find music, making it more accessible than ever before.

They offer other playlists as well, like “Daily Mix”, which groups together like-minded artists and songs to present listeners with an array of vibes at the click of a button (or in the world of Apple products, the touch of a screen). With today’s technology and the consistent release of new music, Spotify gives listeners a platform to, not only absorb music but actively seek it out as well. Spotify, as well as other musical platforms, makes for a unique and personalized listening experience.

We human beings are lazy. If you refer to one of my latest articles, I am so lazy that I often Uber distances of 6 blocks. Spotify lets us be lazy, even welcomes our laziness, by giving us multiple predetermined playlists that are easily accessible. I figured it was about time to let Spotify know the impact that it has on my life. So, thank you Spotify. Thank you for exposing me to new material, thank you for letting my music intake be personalized and thank you for not making me do the work.

If you need me, I will be drowning myself in the tunes of Lewis Watson, a new artist handed to me via my “Discover Weekly”. And if you need me tomorrow, I will be finding the next new artist to obsess over. I advise you to do the same.