Should You Be Using a Knee Pillow for Sleeping?

Are you a side sleeper who gets aches and pains all over your body after sleeping? Do you wake up not feeling as well-rested and refreshed as you'd like? You may want to consider sleeping with a knee pillow.

14
Knee Pillow for Sleeping

You may be surprised to know that doctors recommend them for getting better rest and reducing pain in your back, legs, buttocks, and neck. Let's learn more about this simple yet effective remedy.

Why Should You Use a Knee Pillow?

Different sleeping positions may not provide proper support to our spines, hips, and legs. For side sleepers, the knee gap can be a problem. When lying on our side, most of us tend to align our legs. This results in the knees being placed on top of each other — a position that's bad for our form.

Knees placed in this position put undue pressure on the spine and prevent the pelvis from staying neutral. This can result in severe back and spinal issues in the long term. The short-term effects are aching muscles and sleep that isn't as restful as you'd like.

Knee Pillows Are Designed Differently

Fortunately, a knee pillow for sleeping may just be the solution. You may wonder why you need to buy a separate pillow when you already have a couple at home. Knee pillows are different from regular pillows.

A regular pillow provides support to the neck and elevates the head while a knee pillow is designed to maintain spinal and pelvic alignment. Good knee pillows use 100% memory foam so that they adjust and conform to your body. Memory foam provides the body with firm support preventing the pillow from collapsing under the weight of our lower bodies. It also has a dual contour design on both sides so you can wrap your legs around it comfortably without putting too much pressure on the bottom knee.

They can also come with padded soft straps to keep your legs in the right position during the night. These pillows are also thicker than a regular pillow to keep the knees at the right distance from each other.

Another feature that some knee pillows have is heat-responsive technology. This is useful when you consider how cushions can become uncomfortably hot from body heat. Heat-responsive technology allows the pillow to expand or contract molding the cushion according to your body temperature. The expansion and contraction allow heat to escape or lock it in to maintain the optimum temperature of the pillow.

Benefits of Using a Knee Pillow

Spinal Alignment

The main purpose of a knee pillow is to maintain spinal alignment. Even if you are completely healthy and sleeping well, a knee pillow can help you. You only need to use it once to feel the difference.

Relief From Body Pain

If you've been suffering from body pain or discomfort when lying down, a knee pillow can provide relief. Back pain, knee pain, neck pain, sciatica, etc. can prevent you from getting a good night's rest but a knee pillow can relieve and even take care of the pain. A knee pillow also prevents your knees from rubbing against each other saving you from knee-related pain.

Sleep Better

Stop feeling fatigued in the morning from bad posture and awkward sleep positions. A knee pillow can make your mornings and ultimately your days more productive. When your body can get rest without straining, you'll wake up feeling refreshed and ready to seize the day.

Extra Care During Pregnancy

Pregnancy is hard enough. Sleeping while you're pregnant is an extra challenge. Since pregnant women are advised to sleep on their side, a knee pillow placed between or under the knees can make them more comfortable.

Sleeping on your side while pregnant also takes some of the pressure off your heart. If you're on your back, the baby's weight can exert pressure to your inferior vena cava which supplies blood between your heart and lower body.

The Importance of a Good Night's Sleep

When we sleep at night, our bodies get a reset. Sleep is important for the body to rest, heal, and stretch. Many aspects of modern life can disrupt sleep and create a stressed body and mind. Annoying bosses, stress from work, long commutes, etc. are all stressors that a good night's sleep can help us recover from.

If all that stands between you and a good night's sleep is a knee pillow, isn't it worth trying?