Never Forget The Cafeteria And Janitorial Workers At School

They deserve the love and respect that they show us each and every day.

99
thecowl.com

Although the traditional season of giving is over, it doesn't mean that the idea of giving thanks has to end. One group that deserves far more respect and gratitude than they get credit for are the cafeteria and janitorial workers at schools across the country. This week here at Providence College we are giving out cards and sentimental gifts to these workers in between shift changes to show our appreciation for all the hard work they do. Without the food service and janitorial workers here on campus, we wouldn't be able to have a functioning campus of higher learning and I think it is important to remember that. Below are some of the reasons why we should never forget the work they do each and every day.

Firstly, we must recognize the fact that most of them truly enjoy doing their job and being around other people. It's rare to see a janitor or food service worker at my school without a smile on their face and a pep in their step. The amazing thing about this is that you could see them at 2 a.m. when they have to fix a water leak in your building and they'll still be smiling and greeting you all the while. Another reason why we should never forget the work they do is that we take most of it for granted and unfortunately wouldn't do ourselves. Some of these things include cleaning up messes that many of us would never dare to touch along with setting up certain facilities for special lectures and performances throughout the year.

Lastly, what makes them truly special is their inviting personality and bond they create with the students and school itself. When it comes to college sports, there are no bigger fans than those who work at the school. I have seen firsthand cafeteria and physical plant workers geeking out about the latest sports gossip around Friartown and whenever an athlete walks in you better bet they will ask them hundreds of questions. Sometimes the physical plant workers will sing the national anthem at the games as well, it's truly a sight to behold. Besides being avid sports fans, they truly do have the best personalities on campus. The cafeteria workers will make it their job to learn your name by the end of the semester and if you're lucky they'll even act as your own personal matchmaker. All in all, the workers that fill some of the toughest positions in school deserve the love and respect that they show us each and every day. I challenge you to thank them for all they do, for if it was not for them we would be living in a much different atmosphere.