Should Alaska Be Allowed To Keep Her Crown?

Even though she's just been crowned, should our newest winner already have her crown snatched from her?

12412
Logo TV

Everyone knows that contracts are a major part of TV shows and breaches of contracts, specifically when that contract denotes a prize at the end of the run, leads to disqualification, so why wasn't Alaska disqualified?

Let me break it down: Alaska is the most recent winner of Rupaul's Drag Race All Star's season 2. However, there is controversy surrounding her win because it was apparent that she made major breaches in her contract, specifically the Nondisclosure clause and bribery clauses. So much, that when she was crowned, there was major backlash on social media sites, saying the "Snake Queen" won.

The most apparent one and one that is guaranteed to have been on her contract was the nondisclosure clause. This clause meant that she could not speak of what happened on the show, prior to it airing. Before the cast list was even announced, Alaska's boyfriend released the line-up and the elimination order, even the shocking twists such as the contestants being able to eliminate one another and one contestant leaving during episode two due to harsh critique's on the runway. The boyfriend (ex-boyfriend now) released this information after he and Alaska broke up as a sort of revenge. While the original posts have been taken down, enough fans were able to grab screenshots of the leaked information.

Another twist came when in the second to last episode, Alaska was seen openly bribing fellow contestants Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova (a.k.a. Katya) and Detox Icunt with $10,000 in order to stay in the competition. While some fans take this as a joke, it seems apparent that this was serious as Alaska stated in an interview that she seriously wanted to give Detox the cash, but instead both donated to charity. While it is unsure of whether or not there is a bribe clause in Drag Race contestants contracts, it is a staple in other reality shows such as Big Brother. Even if this is not a break of contract, it is still an ethical issue after Alaska was crowned.

Drag Race has a history of disqualifying queens, as seen with the season four elimination of Willam Belli. Belli was eliminated after having "conjugal visits" with his husband during filming. So if Alaska is allowed to keep her crown, the question comes: is there a double standard? Having sex with your husband is not cool but leaking the whole line up and twists before the first promo even airs? will this hurt the integrity of the show if she is allowed to keep it and will the show lose lots of fans as a result? These are the questions the producers have to take into consideration heading into the reunion airing on October 27: take the crown from previous fan favorite Alaska who broke a lot of rules and crown one of the runners up, or risk losing the fan base that is very upset at this crowning? May the best woman get and keep the crown.