Shopping (and Saving) at the Dollar Store

Best items to buy at the dollar store that can put some change can into our pockets.

199
dtarbitration.com

Very recently in the state of New York, New Yorkers from different locations distributed through the five boroughs and locations in Westchester County have come across a new store chain which was absent for many decades which have made a very impactful, most recent appearance in our state and has come to be a strong competitor to the well-known 99 cents and up stores in New York state. The name of the new store chain is Dollar Tree which was formerly known as Deals. Deals was a Dollar Tree company that specialized in selling goods starting at a dollar and up to seven dollars. Deals was strongly competing at first (and it is still under the name of Dollar Tree) with the 99-cent and up stores because both types of stores offered many of the same items with a slightly different price point. For example, A roll of Bounty paper towel would cost a 1.29 at the 99 cents store, while it would cost a dollar at Deals. That with the added percentage of 8.756 of taxes added, would have us saving around 50 cents per roll. After such success, it seems like the Dollar Tree company decided to transition all Deals stores into Dollar Tree stores that will only sell items priced at a dollar and that would also offer more quantity for a lower price. Dollar Tree stores were very popular in Southern states in the U.S. Now, that Dollar Tree stores have made their way down to New York, I can give you a few ideas on how to save a little bit of money by shopping in it. Nevertheless, I do not want to discard the idea of shopping at 99 cents and up stores because many items such as paper goods, and frozen foods are immediately sold out at Dollar Tree and the 99 cents store will have them in stock for just a few cents more. Also, since the Dollar Tree only specializes in selling items for a dollar, there are still good quality items that have made their way down to the 99 cents store from wholesalers like Costco and Sam Club that may not be found at the Dollar Tree; and would be half-priced from its original price from a wholesaler and available at the 99 cents store mostly.

Many of us, think that buying products at the dollar store is totally worthless. The fact that many items at the dollar store come with more than five pieces of the same item for a dollar in a pack makes it so hard to believe that it is any good. But, as a matter of fact, there are many goods that the Dollar Tree sells that are almost as good, and at certain times even better than those found at other retailers like our local supermarkets, drugstores, etc. Here is a list of suggestions of what items I will recommend you to buy from the Dollar Tree, and why and with an estimate of how much they will save the consumer (meaning you).

School supplies: Dollar Tree carries a wide selection of school supplies which are all mostly priced for a dollar or sometimes 2 for a dollar. The quality of school supplies at the Dollar Tree can be as good as the ones found at other office stores such as Staples, and Office Depot. The good thing about buying school supplies at the Dollar Tree is that they are always priced for a dollar throughout the year, not only during the back to school season. While it is a great idea to shop for school supplies during the back to school sales at Staples, there is always a limit to a number of school supplies you can shop during one day and/or shopping trip. There is no limit of how many items you can purchase at the Dollar Tree. Also, school supplies can be purchased in bulk at the dollartree.com website and can be delivered to your local Dollar Tree store for pickup. There are times in which name brands school supplies like Bic, Sharpie, and Papermate are sold at Dollar Tree, giving you a chance to save up to three dollars per pack. Also, Dollar Tree is always there to buy backups of items we run out of during the school year. Personally, the best school supplies to buy at the Dollar Tree are composition notebooks, yellow pencils, black or blue ink pens, index cards, posterboards, paper clips, push pins, pencil holders, filler paper, erasers, white school glue, sharpeners, and binders. Also, the school supply section at the Dollar Tree has a good selection of teacher's school supplies.

Makeup: Some drugstore brands such as Maybelline, Milani, Physicians' Formula, L'oreal, Bonne Bell and Blistex can be found at Dollar Tree. Lately, I have been able to buy makeup brushes from the brand Wet N' Wild at the Dollar Tree which are very ergonomic, have soft bristles and blend makeup very well. These Wet N' Wild brushes retail for 3.99 to 4.99 a piece. So, getting these brushes at the Dollar Tree can save you up to four dollars per item purchased. Also, makeup from the name brands that I mentioned previously may still be sold at drugstores for a higher price point, let's say 5.99 to 7.99, giving up a savings of around six dollars per item. Sometimes, these name brand makeup items make their way to the dollar store not only because they are reaching an expiration date (always check the expiration date of any makeup before buying it); but because there was an overproduction of the items, and the makeup company wants to come out with a newer version of the same product. So, selling it at the dollar store will make the beauty items more accessible to women in a budget who are willing to try the brand later on after seeing that it can be purchased for a lower price. It also gives us a chance to try the brand before we commit to paying more money for it at another store.

Also, there are makeup brands that cater to be sold at the dollar store, such as L.A. Colors and Sassy and Chic. These makeup brand target all audiences, younger girls and older women, and the makeup artist. They offer a variety of colors, that sometimes can only be seen and found at prestige retailers like Sephora or Ulta. And even though they can be a little powdery, the main ingredients used to make this makeup is the same as those of higher qualities, such as talc, and mica making them very pigmented many times. These are also beginner friendly brands for those just getting started using makeup.

Hygiene products: Shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, mouthwash, bar soaps, body wash, shaving creams, razors, and deodorant. Dollar Tree carries name brands such as Colgate, Closeup, and Palmolive. Hygiene products from these brands can cost a little bit more if bought at a store like Walmart or Target. Although they can be found for a lower price when on sale. There is always the advantage that one does not have to wait for a special sale at Walmart or Target when the same products can be found at Dollar Tree for less, with the same amount of ounces, variety, and no limit of how many can be purchased for the sale price. There is a wide variety of body washes at Dollar Tree by the brand Spa Haus, these are very soft and smell really well, and the feel on the skin that these leave after bathing can be the same as most expensive brands. My favorite is the Spa Haus Oatmeal/ Lavender body wash for a dollar. It is hypo-allergenic, cruelty-free, and only a dollar for 18 ounces. Comparing the Spa Haus body washes for a dollar with those sold at drugstores, can save us up to five dollars per bottle. Also, the Dollar Tree carries, Barbazol shaving creams for a dollar for eight ounces while it costs 2.29 when not on sale at mass retailers for the same amount. So, the amount of saving for hygiene products can be endless.

Grooming supplies and socks: For those of us who like to collect socks or those of us who have the tendency of losing our socks in the washer. This tip is for us, the Dollar Tree carries a wide variety of different socks for just a dollar, there are fuzzy socks, low-cut, no-show, diabetic, knee-length socks, even pantyhose. There are so many options to choose from and many times these socks can be as durable and fashionable as socks from another more pricey brand like Gold-toe or Nike. There is a wide variety of colors and designs for everyone in the family. Also, there is an extensive selection of hair brushes, combs, hair bands, hair elastics, and other hair accessories at the Dollar Tree that can be as strong and durable as others with a brand name. Many times, Dollar Tree also carries discounted hair accessories from brands such as Scunci and Goody which can retail for up to five dollars a piece. Leaving us with a savings of around four dollars when we buy these goods at the DT rather than a drugstore type of store like CVS.

Party supplies and mailing supplies: party supplies like balloons, gift bags, gift wrapping papers, ribbons, bows, boxes, and party favors and games can be found at Dollar Tree. Sometimes made by the same manufacturers of those sold at Target, CVS, or Walmart. For, of course, a dollar a piece at Dollar Tree. These party supplies can cost from three dollars up to even seven dollars if bought somewhere else. Mailing envelopes, bubble wrap, cushion mailers, masking tape, clear adhesive tape and duct tape can be purchased at the Dollar Tree for way less than the office store. So, if you are into selling some of your stuff on eBay or Amazon, a good way to buy mailing materials for sending your sold items would be the dollar store.

There are many home necessities that can be purchased at the dollar store that can be of good use and we use in our daily life such as kitchen tools, glassware, garden decorations, flatware, and disposable paper goods, and cleaning supplies. Paper goods from Bounty and Sparkle brands can be purchased at Dollar Tree, also the Dollar Tree generic brand is very comparable to those before mentioned. Toilet paper rolls for up to 1000 sheets and 2plied can be found at Dollar Tree. The garden section of the Dollar Tree has a lot of beautiful fake flowers that look so realistic, one can find sunflowers, tulips, roses, plumerias in so many different colors, for just a dollar. Seasonal garden decorations are very durable and with many different prints suitable for the specific season being celebrated, I have bought many decorations from Dollar Tree for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and they have lasted me a few years, like mugs, dishes, and towels. There are also disposable paper goods that match the seasonal decor of your choice, making it easy to have a gathering with themed goods for the holidays. Also, I buy quite a lot of cleaning supplies at Dollar Tree, like drying sheets that I toss in my dryer to prevent wrinkles on my clothes and sometimes detergent. Travel-sized containers of Gain and Tide detergents can be found at Dollar Tree, same with Lysol, floor cleaning solutions. These are often concentrated so if we are on a budget and cannot buy the full-size of these that can cost up to seven dollars; getting these cleaning supplies from Dollar Tree and diluting with water can have us cleaning our houses with pride and smelling very good.

These are just a few suggestions/recommendations I can offer you based on my experience in shopping at the Dollar Tree. Lately, it is one of my favorite spots to go shopping. But, I will not let the fact that everything in there is only a dollar drive me crazy and go bankrupt and not put money into savings. But, for sure to buy items like the ones I suggested at the dollar store can put some money back into our pockets that we can put towards something else like groceries, or a little bit more money for rainy day fun. Stay tuned. I will bring more recommendations in the future as well as warnings of what not to buy at the dollar store.