Eco-friendly Shopping Tips

3 Ways Shopping Can Save The Environment

By being better about how we shop we are reducing our waste, reusing products that would have gone to waste, supporting local farmers and small businesses.

61

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. These are words I'm sure everybody has heard at least once, but how much of that do we put into practice? Are we more than the sad blue recycling bin in the corner of our schools and workplaces? By being better about how we shop we are reducing our waste, reusing products that would have gone to waste, supporting local farmers and small businesses. It can be easy to create a more sustainable environment for everybody.

1. Shop second hand.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-and-black-floral-cap-sleeved-shirt-994523/

I just want to preface this by saying, the pollution in our oceans is a byproduct of big corporations perpetual use of single-use plastics at the expense of our environment. Often times cheaper business practices can be ethically wrong and environmentally detrimental! All is not lost though, there are still steps we can take to reduce our waste.

The best way to combat this is by buying second-hand! By constantly buying new things, we as consumers create a demand for these items. This demand, in turn, leads to more and cheaper single-use plastic packaging that will just be tossed after opening.

Buying second-hand is smart! There are tons and tons and TONS of items that are perfectly good to wear or use, at a fraction of the cost of brand new items. Clothes for adults and children, toys, housewares like pots, pans, plates, etc., jewelry, and so much more! Thrifting is the love-child of reduce, reuse, recycle.

By buying a product that has been pre-loved, you are reducing waste by not buying a new item (because there is a perfectly good one for so much cheaper!)

You are reusing… duh!

By buying products second hand, there is less new plastic being created, so it's easier to recycle the plastics, papers, cans, etc. that you DO end up buying.

There are so many great options for thrifting, stores like Goodwill, Plato's closet, Salvation Army, and others make it so simple to start!

Whenever it is time to shop for new items like groceries, you might be thinking, "this is impossible!". And sometimes it can feel that way! Plastic produce bags, bags for meat, shopping bags, bulky plastic boxes on all of the fresh produce! But the easiest way to curve this is to bring your own reusable shopping bag -- yes for produce too! Stores like Lucky's Market actually give you discounts for bringing your own bag. These sell online for as little as $1! (Seriously so affordable).

2. Farmers Markets.

To combat this, shop small and shop smart! Buying from Farmers' Markets can help keep you in contact with local farmers to buy fresh fruits and veggies, sans plastic. This can be anything from buying fresh eggs to vegetables that are juicy and in season!

Not only is this boosting your community's economy, but often times it is much more delicious to buy fresh fruits and veggies this way!

Pro Tip: If you're new in town or aren't very involved in many clubs or organizations, a farmers market is a great way to meet people! Either buying or selling, this is a great way to meet people in your own community! Start up a conversation about the bees the honey comes from, their handmade jewelry, or share delicious food and just chat about life.

The possibilities are literally endless.

3. Buy in bulk.

There are a number of bulk food stores in Orlando! My personal favorite is Lucky's Market because their store is amazing! I have genuinely left Lucky's Market feeling more inspired to live healthy every single time I leave. Additionally, Bulk Nation (which has a HUGE variety of items to buy in bulk), Leaves and Roots (which is specifically great for loose tea leaves), and many many others. Just bring your own container and fill up on your goodies! Reduce, reuse, recycle!

This is not only so easy, but this is so so fun! I like to think of this one as a game honestly. It's kind of like a game where you can customize exactly as much of each item you want. And for more creative people, it's always fun to find a new container to store your items in! Glass jars? Paper bags? Bowls? Tupper ware? Up to you!

For all my kinesthetic learners and hands-on people, it is so satisfying to take the scoop and play with your food while you pick what you want! Scooping in different powders, grains, nuts, etc. and then adding the PLU number? Amazing.

Good luck on your shopping sprees and always remember to bring your reusable shopping bags anytime you go to the store!