10 Ways To Get A Discount On Every Item You Buy Online

You'll either thank me for saving you money or hate me for tempting you to spend it.

114
https://unsplash.com/photos/_3Q3tsJ01nc

Online shopping is my favorite pass time. As dangerous as that is, knowing that I am prone to it encourages me to find the best deals. If I'm spending money, I might as well be spending the least possible. Now this has become a character trait. Whenever one of my friends can't find a specific item they're looking for, or if it's just too expensive, they put me on the job, and I'm usually pretty good at finding a solution. While being stuck at home, I've actually been shopping a lot less, oddly enough, but others seem to be doing the opposite, and I've gotten countless texts asking me to find a sold out item or a bargain. I decided I would make all my knowledge public so you can shop all you want without doing too much damage. You're welcome.

1. Shop on Etsy 

Jewelry is easily overpriced, and sometimes it's worth it, but it turns out you can get some high quality pieces for much cheaper. If you look up the most basic key words on Etsy, you can easily find dupes for pieces you find on Adina's Jewels, or other trendy overpriced stores, and often of better quality. I always filter for shipping from the US or free shipping, which helps. If you wear gold jewelry, always go for gold filled instead of gold plated. The price difference is pretty low and it makes a world of difference. Nothing ever rusts in the shower, pool, or ocean. Also, it's a perfect way to support small businesses !

2. Download Honey

I'm sure you've heard some YouTubers talk about the Honey widget lately, but I've had it for years now, and I swear by it. It almost always works, and even if it just adds free shipping you're still saving money ! Just look up Honey on Google and you can easily download it for free. Once you have it on your browser, it automatically pops up when deals are available, so you don't need to worry about forgetting about it at checkout.

3. Watch Clothing Hauls

If you can't find a coupon code on Honey or the website itself, search up the name of the brand and "haul" on YouTube. A lot of the time, YouTubers have discount codes in the video descriptions, so you don't even have to watch the video. Sounds pretty random but you'd be surprised how often this actually works.

4. Start With a Wide Search

If you're looking for something specific, type that into Google instead of going directly to the brand's website. That's how most people shop, so there's a greater chance that the item you want will be sold out. Also, the more people shop it, the less likely there is to be on sale. If you search it up on google directly, you'll find more than one website, which means more room for coupon codes, more sizes, and a greater chance of getting a good deal.

5. Use a Separate Email 

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and sign up for emails to get that 10% off discount…desperate times call for desperate measures. Instead of polluting your inbox, make a separate email for shopping. This can also help because you'll be less likely to check your inbox, so you won't be tempted to spend money only because there's a mediocre sale, rather than when you actually want something.

6. Thrift Online

I know, buying second hand is not the same, but a lot of the time you can find brand new items on resellers like Poshmark, Thredup, or Depop. It's a great way to find sold out items, or get a really good deal. You can also bargain for a price of shipping discount on Poshmark, which works out pretty well most of the time, and shipping is quick. If you're trying to shop more sustainably, this is also a great way to get your hands on fast fashion, trendy items without a) shopping at those stores directly, or b) rummaging through Goodwill bins for hours.

7. Cheat the Deal 

This one's not exactly a new trick, nor the one you can use every time you shop, but it works. A lot of the time, a brand will offer free shipping when you spend a certain amount of money. Get what you want, and then get random stuff to reach that limit. Then, you get free shipping and can just return the stuff you didn't want in the first place. If the online store doesn't offer free returns, make the effort to return it in store (you might want to hold off on this one until quarantine is over). Also, when you add in the random items, go for stuff you wouldn't be caught dead wearing, or get an entirely wrong size, just to make sure you don't end up liking the items you never wanted in the first place. This works for BOGO sales too. Buy a random item that's more expensive than the one you actually want (the cheaper item is always discounted), that way you get that item on sale, and get the money back for the item you didn't want when you return it.

8. Give In To Instagram's Game

I've been noticing this now more than ever, but you can find some good stuff on your Instagram discover page. Since Instagram tracks your activity, it'll recognize the things you like. If you do this too, you know that you'll get about 23 different pictures of the same thing on your discover page the next day. Don't skip through. Especially with clothing items, the pictures will be from different accounts, so you can find similar items at different price points. Don't just assume it's the same $120 top, actually click on it.

9. Sign Up for UniDays

This is so underrated. A ton of brands partner with UniDays to give discounts to college students. You just register on their website and you're automatically eligible for a discount on countless website. This is one you have to remember to use, but it's definitely foolproof. You won't be getting an insane 50% off coupon, but it's a really easy way to save money.

10. Buy Grade School Boys' Shoes 

This sounds weird, I know, but grade school boys' shoe sizes go up to the equivalent of a women's 9, and they're always cheaper and always in stock. Granted, this isn't going to work for every single pair of shoes you dream of, but when you're shopping brands that make unisex styles, like Adidas, Nike, or Vans, definitely consider this option. This is also a way to get a cheaper version of the Nike dri fit socks everyone's wearing.