Shit Is Just Not That Deep

Shit Is Just Not That Deep

Let's talk about mutual ghosting.

71
Shit Is Just Not That Deep

I met with an old friend the other day. A friend that I genuinely didn't think that I would see again. However, I couldn't be happier that I did. We ended things on less than normal terms and haven't spoken in a few years. When I received a simple, direct message from him on Instagram, I was unbelievably happy. The shock brought a smile to my face because I didn't realize how much I missed this person who was once in my life. We messaged back and forth for a bit until we made plans to meet.

We went to a local coffee shop and caught up. Discussed trivial topics and some not so trivial topics. We shared our future plans and talked about our past. While talking, we realized something so ridiculous—we were both under the impression that we hated each other. This was never the case. So, what happened? Literally nothing. There was no big blowout or fight. We simply got swept up in our own lives and no longer texted each other. This experience made me realize, especially in today's age, shit is just not that deep.

We need to understand that people mutually stop talking and fizzle out. That is not to say that there is any animosity or that it is a big deal. One thing that I keep coming back to is the idea of main character energy. As entertaining as it might be to imagine that our lives are teeny bopper television series, that isn't the case. The storylines in our lives aren't always tied up in neat little bows where every relationship has a distinct end. Our world will never be that black and white, which can honestly be a good thing. We want the diversity that comes with the unknown.

We shouldn't be afraid to reach out to old friends because we are victims of false assumptions. Chances are, those who maybe disappeared from our lives for a brief moment would be thrilled to hear from us again. When you truly think about it, what is the worst that could happen? They don't respond, or things are a bit awkward? So what? Life is way too short to let something like awkwardness stop you. In all seriousness, people don't think about the possible embarrassing moments that occurred to you personally. As stated before, we are way too wrapped up in our lives. So take a leap of faith, because you truly never know what is going to happen.