Shh! They're Listening in...

Shh! They're Listening in...

In the spirit of Halloween, it's time to revisit the fear that big data storage creates.

66
Shh! They're Listening in...
Iatropedia

In the spirit of Halloween, it's time to revisit the fear that big data storage creates. Is it really necessary for someone to monitor your sleep cycle, your metabolism, or how fast you're driving your car? Also, tracking where you're located every second of every day? What about who you're talking to, and what you're talking about?

We live in a technological world, so there's really no way around it. However, you should know that every time you use, or every time you touch that technology you are leaving a trace of your life behind. Almost every where you purchase something, either the store, or credit card you use is studying you based on said purchase. After that, they use that information, or sell it to a third party.

Is it all bad? The answer to that question is "NO!" That grocery store that sends you coupons based on the food and brands you like is convenient. There are also other ways that big data storage makes life a little easier in ways you might not even be aware of.

Crime Prevention

There is a data-analysis software that determines if a criminal is likely to commit a crime again. This same analysis is also used to determine who should be up for parole. In addition, The Chicago Police Department uses a software that predicts a crime before it even happens. Hello, Minority Report. Does anyone else feel icky here? No matter how you feel about it, recidivism rate has dropped 15% since this method has been implemented. Leaving an algorithm to make such choices seems a little off, but I'll let you decide on that one.

Health Care

The Health-Care System, especially when dealing with hospitals, has millions of patients. Your medical records available on a tablet, with a touch of the button makes care more efficient. It makes follow-up care easier for both care provider, as it is for the patient.

GPS Service

This is probably everyone's most used, and most treasured big data storage tool. Traffic data that is updated and analyzed constantly gives us the best route to get from place to place. In-car navigation systems and GPS apps give up-to-date information on construction, accidents, and other traffic problems making travel much easier than that of the past.

Personalized Entertainment

Companies like Amazon know what you like to read, Netflix knows what you want to watch, and iTunes knows what you like to listen to. These aren't the only personalized entertainment Big Data Companies, but they do offer you an example of how convenient big data storage had made your life. This is an example of how gaining access to your information helps the industry (music, movies, television, books, and video games), but also helps YOU!

Somehow I'm not sure if these modern conveniences are enough to justify the invasion of our privacy. Anywhere from having Google track what we've searched, to apps like Yelp, Angry Birds, and Snapchat, all at one time under investigation by the FTC for obtaining information from our phones, without our consent.

New toys, like Hello Barbie, listen into children's conversations as they play, and later, exploits their interest to market new toys. This new Barbie doll marks the beginning of a generation that will grow up never truly knowing what privacy really is. Should we be worried?

Here's the truth. There is no way to escape the modern technology we have today without completely going off the grid (if that's even possible). My point is to inform, and yes..., to scare you as well. If any of this bothered you, I want to spook you into doing something about it. If you don't want to share your private information, then place the privacy setting on your phone and computer. Be aware of updates and new apps. It's up to you to protect yourself! Do your research because guess what? Someone is always watching, and someone is always...listening in.