He For She: The Gender Equality Movement For Everyone

34

On Sept. 20, Emma Watson spoke at United Nations  headquarters to launch a new gender equality campaign called, He For She, that encourages men to jump on board the feminist movement. 

Guys -- it is time to step up.  Since the gender equality movement -- also known as feminism -- started in the early 1900s, women have been at its head, fighting for their own rights.  But now, thanks to UN Women’s new campaign, “He For She, ”men are being called to join in the fight. He For She characterizes  gender equality, not as a women’s issue, but as a human rights issue that must be addressed by everyone in order to be solved. 

Emma Watson launched the campaign with a speech that rocked social media. She began by calling everyone to participate in the movement to end gender inequality. Watson then addressed the myth of feminism as “man-hating,” and after recalling memories of being called “bossy” and being sexualized by the media and discussing international women’s rights issues, she extended an invitation to men to speak up and help initiate change for women. Watson also clarified that He For She isn’t just to help out the girls.  

The movement is not solely focused on women’s rights, but on gender equality. They are taking a stand against all forced gender roles.  As their website states, they are “bringing together one half of humanity in support of the other half of humanity, for the benefit of all” (www.heforshe.org).

You might ask what exactly is He For She doing? More than anything, it is raising awareness. With Emma Watson as the UN Women Global Goodwill ambassador, He For She has been gaining a ton of publicity. Her kick-off speech has already been viewed over a million times on YouTube.  (Watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Dg226G2Z8). Tons of other celebrities are hopping on board, as well, including President Obama, Matt Damon, and Prince Harry.

You can get involved, too.  Take the He For She commitment on their website and share #HeForShe. Over 169,000 people in the U.S. have taken the pledge to support the human rights movement of gender equality, and even more are participating across the globe.

From Your Site Articles