Share Your Gratitude With Others This Thanksgiving

Spread the love.

5

Thanksgiving is the one day a year that most people sit down and dedicate time to counting their blessings, being grateful and acknowledging the value of their lives. This is a great tradition and is something we should all do every day. Knowing how blessed you are can be one of the greatest comforts in the world. But simply pausing to reflect on the awesomeness of your own life is not really enough, is it? What more do we accomplish on Thanksgiving than any other day if all we do is say to ourselves, “hey I’m pretty lucky” and then watch football and have a feast? Pretty much nothing. I’m not saying you should forgo your holiday turkey and tune out the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, but I’m saying that this is the perfect opportunity to spread a little love and make your gratitude known.

There are many ways that you can spread a little love this Thanksgiving, but one of the best ways to start is by telling the people who have influenced your life in some way why you’re thankful for them. Lots of people do this around their dinner table at their Thanksgiving meal and that’s great. But those are usually quick conversations that we try to rush through to get at the good food that is awaiting us. This year, sit down with your friends and family and really tell them how much they mean to you.

You can also thank people you normally wouldn’t. Have you got a teacher that really impacted your life? A nurse who helped make you well? A counselor, preacher, study group leader who has shown you kindness this year? Send them a message and tell them how much you appreciate their interest in your life and wellbeing. Even better, go see them and let them know that their efforts have not gone unnoticed.

It's always a great idea to pay it forward. Use your blessings to be a blessing to someone else. If you’ve had a great year financially, consider donating to charity. If you’ve had a great year as a family, go volunteer at a shelter. Adopt a dog. Pick up trash. Educate your community. Host a neighborhood party. The blessings in your own life are the best platforms for you to use to help others.

Best of all this holiday season you can give a Thanksgiving to those who can’t make one for themselves. Bring food to your neighbors, go to your local nursing home or homeless shelter to celebrate with people who might not have a family to surround them on this day. They’ll bring you so much happiness while you help to make their day as special as can be.