Why Sitcom "Shameless" Should Be Next On Your Netflix Binge List

The sitcom 'Shameless' Should be next on your Netflix Binge list

There's no better way to spend the hot miserable days of summer than binge watching the Gallaghers' cringe worthy moments

77

If you're struggling to find a new T.V. series to binge on for the upcoming hot and humid summer days and nights, look no further than Showtime's longest running sitcom series, "Shameless." Taking place in one of Chicago's oldest and ghetto neighborhoods, the sitcom takes viewers through the lives of Frank and Monica Gallagher's six children as they struggle to survive the challenges life throws at them without parental support.

Armed with a sardonically narcissistic father and an absent mother who struggles with bipolar disorder, all six Gallagher kids are forced to fend for themselves as soon as they enter the world. If you're wondering what places this sitcom apart from all other series, all you have to do is follow each episode as the series takes you through the development, successful efforts at survival, and pitiful failures of each child. Let's take a look at how each Gallagher kid contributes to the survival of this hilariously dysfunctional family.

Fiona Gallagher: If you're the eldest in your family, most likely you'll relate to this matriarch, breadwinner, party animal, and unconditional supporter of her younger siblings. Fiona is the eldest daughter of Frank and Monica and though she has moments of doubt when faced with decisions way beyond her maturity level, she is like the Wonder Woman of Chicago's slums. If you ever need inspiration to get through a challenge that seems way over your head, put aside an hour of your day to watch as Fiona overcomes the impossible in "Shameless."

Phillip 'Lip' Gallagher: Imagine yourself with the cognitive ability to score a perfect 1600 points on the SAT and earning bank by taking other students' SAT's to support your family. Yup, that's pretty much Lip for you. Lip is known as the "books smart" brains of the family. Though he arguably has the potential to levitate his way out of the slums into a higher level of society, thus saving his family from eternal financial challenges, he must first battle his inner demons. Unfortunately, it seems he inherited Frank's alcoholic tendencies and rebellious streak against the social structure and restrictions of college. Lip brings a dose of reality after receiving a full ride to M.I.T. only to get suspended for alcohol abuse and other offensives. He's a great reminder that life goes on and if you face your demons, success can be found in more ways than one.

Ian Gallagher: Ian represents those who still suffer under the social stigma of identifying as gay. On top of that, Ian inherited Monica's bipolar disorder which makes his day to day outlook on life like a rollercoaster of eccentric optimism and manic depression. When he's happy, he will do anything to protect and help his family. Not only can viewers relate to his struggles with accepting his identity, but the producers strategically added a real world and controversial issue adding yet another layer of diversity and reality to the Gallagher clan. This show reminds viewers that they are not alone in the struggles that life throws our way.

Debbie Gallagher: As the youngest daughter of the Gallagher clan, Debbie feels like she has some major shoes to fill as she follows in the path of her big sis. As the youngest in my family, I can relate to Deb's desire to feel needed and valuable. Thankfully, I wasn't persuaded to become a teenage mom as a response to that desire. Viewers are able to follow Debbie's optimistic support for her dead beat mom and dad and her constant disappointment when her parents aren't able to follow through on the simplest requests. We're also able to follow as an eleven year old Debbie in Season 1 transforms into a somewhat eccentric, but nonetheless doting teenage mom at the end of season 7.

Carl Gallagher: With two older brothers who share everything and a younger brother too young to hold a conversation, Carl Gallagher represents that loner side in all of us. However, what he doesn't represent is his love for violence and inflicting pain on others. At first glance, the audience might be confused about the pleasure Carl gets from torturing helpless pets to bullying kids at school. To be honest, I think like all his siblings, Carl's violent personality is simply a result of the massive lack of parental attention and care that all Gallagher children suffer from. Don't worry though, if you make it to season 7, you'll receive the gratification of knowing how Carl turns his violent tendencies into an honorable contribution to society.

Last but not least, Liam Gallagher represents the youngest of the Gallagher clan. Starring in Season 1 as a quiet toddler, there's definitely more to Liam than meets the eye; in fact he sticks out like a sore thumb, watch Season 1 episode 10 to find out why.

Liam represents the dependent position of each of his siblings as they face challenges from taking care of all siblings financially from the age of twenty-one, to being kidnapped by your own father for panhandling at the age of three. The producers of "Shameless" provide a detailed description of the individual struggles everyone faces no matter your age. If you're having a particularly challenging day, take an hour to watch an episode of "Shameless." Not only will you get a laugh out of the comedy, but the show's an accurate representation of real life and a good reminder that if the Gallagher's can survive their challenges, so can you.