Seven Years Of Bad Luck

7 Years of Bad Luck

A story of a broken mirror at the beach.

23
7 Years of Bad Luck
Unsplash

It was the summer going into my freshman year of high school. One of my best friends invited me to the beach and I was so excited for something fun before the dreaded years of high school. At the beach, instead of just tanning or going in the water, we wanted to try something called skim-boarding, which was supposed to be really fun. It resembles surfing, except instead of surfing on waves, you are skimming across the shallow part of the wave near the shore.

When we got there, we took a trip to the store, and bought a skimboard. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of everyone on the beach, so we decided to try it on the carpet in our hotel room. It was pretty fun and we got the hang of it, so for the next few days we would spend our time skim-boarding on the beach. The very last day we were there, we were trying it on the carpet again, trying to do tricks or something. There was a sliding mirror door as the closet door in the room, and when i skimmed across the carpet, the board flew out from under me and i fell backwards on the floor.

I hear a shatter and look up to see a huge crack in the mirror door. We both panicked. We figured that if we didn't tell anyone it would be fine, not the hotel or her parents or anyone. We start packing up the car, and a hotel manager comes up and starts talking to her parents. My friend and I look at each other, and we knew exactly what was happening. Her parents ended up having to pay a couple hundred dollars for it, and my friend took the blame for me so my parents wouldn't find out about it. From then on, I kept experiencing really bad luck, and that's why I believe the superstition that breaking a mirror brings seven years of bad luck.