Serving At A Chicago Soup Kitchen For Those In Need Changed My Life Forever

Instead of the beach, I spent my spring break in the windy city of Chicago.

53
Chicago bean

Have you ever had an experience that completely changed your life? An experience that was so full of serving others and it felt really good to do it? Over spring break, when I could have traveled to somewhere warm and lay on a beach, I went to the windy city, that we call Chicago.

That's right! In the cold month of February, I went somewhere not warm to spend my spring break. Not only did I not travel to warm weather, but I spent the entire week serving others. It brought me so much joy and I really got to bond with my friends/fellow students that traveled there with me.

We stayed with an order of sisters and helped them with their mission serving the poor. The main part of their mission is their food pantry. We spend a large amount of our time in Chicago unloading food, prepping for the weekly food pantry and helping serve at the food pantry itself which is featured in the video attached.

We also got to spend a ton of time doing one of my all-time favorite things: working with kids! We got to help with the afterschool program and even got to spend an entire day working with the kids in the classroom. Working with kids is something I am passionate about and am currently going to school to become an Elementary Education teacher.

I loved seeing the look on the kids' faces when I was able to help explain a concept to them or even the way their face would light up when they explained to me what Fortnite is. (I never felt older in my life.) The kids brought so much light to my week and even showed me how much I take for granted all the blessings in my life.

How I really do not have much to complain about. These kids were so eager to learn and got excited when they knew how to do things. I especially loved getting to work with the 4th graders. I loved having the opportunity to lead a reading group with them. Though at times it was hard for them to stay focused, the excitement they would get when they wanted to be the one to read aloud, when I asked them a question about the reading and they knew the answer and even when they had questions of their own.

Their eagerness to learn never ceased to amaze me. It definitely has made me take a step back and look at my life and appreciate and not take for granted, this opportunity I have to receive a college education. Not only do I have the opportunity to have an education, but through my education, I will have the ability to turn around and give future generations the same opportunity.

These kids are our future. Let's not screw it up, because as we grow old, they will be the ones taking care of us. So tread carefully. Also, remember this, service costs less than luxury and what you reap is far more rich and plentiful, than what you can ever reap from laying on the beach or doing something where it is nice and hot.