Seriously, #Repealthe19th Was Trending

Seriously, #Repealthe19th Was Trending

How this movie motivated me to vote.

13
Seriously, #Repealthe19th Was Trending
Feminenza

I, like many people my age, don't know extensive amounts of information regarding the start of women's suffrage, or even how it began to change in the last few years of the movement. The movie 'Iron Jawed Angels' dramatizes those last few years. It has captivated my attention and now I am eager to share it with everyone else.

The reason this movement was brought to my attention is due to the fact that I am taking an Intro to Women's Studies course. As a class we sat down and watched this movie over three days. We had brief discussion throughout the duration of the movie but it wasn't until the last segment that I literally cried.

Our professor had asked us prior the film to write down a list of women leaders. Of course like many of my classmates the list was quite short. Our professor gave us a few minutes. She then asked us to write a list of men leaders that we knew of. This time my list was much longer. It hit me that it was much easier to think of men leaders then it was for women leaders. Of course it may be different for other students but this, again, was my own experience.

My lack of knowledge is my own fault in my eyes. I am a woman, I feel that I should have known my own history (womankind). Quick little lesson, Alice Paul (she was one of the main characters in the movie), was a woman who dedicated most of her life to secure equal rights to all women. She was a feminist, suffragist and political strategist. She was accompanied by many others, including Lucy Burns, Inez Millholland, Ida B. Wells, Carrie Chapman Catt, and many more. These people fought for the nineteenth amendment. They endured huge dangers such as threats, jail time and many more unthinkable punishments for standing up for what they believe in.

Now, in the year 2016, this past week the hashtag #Repealthe19th started trending on Twitter. What this means is there are people that want to revoke the amendment that allowed women to vote.

I know what you're thinking. WHAAAAAAAT?

The fact that this hashtag even is relevant and exists is very disappointing. The reason for how and why this even started is a long story. You can do your own research and be shocked just as I was.

I know that 'Iron Jawed Angels' dramatized the events that led up to the ratification of the nineteenth amendment, but I don't want to go back to before women had a say in the political world. I want the privilege to vote. Now that I am finally of legal age to vote, seeing this hashtag trending horrifies me. This isn't a joke at all, I don't want to lose my right to vote.

So my fellow millenniums, women, classmates, and everyone in between, I like many others encourage you to VOTE.

It's really easy! I'll even help you a bit, you can register to vote here.

Don't tell me it doesn't affect anything if you don't vote because it really does.

November 8th fam.

And if you're the person who thinks both candidates are interesting, well be like me..

Last remark, you can watch 'Iron Jawed Angels' on YouTube.

Do yourself a favor and watch this movie. There are some very gruesome moments in the movie, this is my disclaimer. But with all the pain and suffering in the movie and what has actually happened in the past, I have realized that I have a voice. I can use it to vote and if I have to go through what these woman had to face to secure equal rights for all women, so be it.