Self-Worth Is Found In God

Self-Worth Is Found In God

No matter what the world tells us, the only place to find lasting self-esteem and worth is God.

325
Self-Worth Is Found In God
Mindy VanTil

Self-esteem is something that we all struggle with at one point or another. But what exactly is self-esteem?

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines self-esteem as “a confidence and satisfaction in oneself” or self-respect. It can also be seen as self-conceit in some cases.

Most people have struggled with self-worth at some point in their life.

Teenagers are notorious for struggling with self-esteem, but the problem goes far beyond them. They are constantly exposed to the unreasonable standards portrayed by society. Many teenagers see people in the media and automatically compare themselves. People, teenagers especially, tend to judge others based on appearance. There is also an increased use of social media and photoshop.

Good relationships with God and others can combat the negative forces of society and the media. A good group of friends can do wonders for someone’s self-worth. If one has good people supporting them and uplifting them they cannot help but feel better about themselves. The influence of good role models and mentors can also have a huge effect. Having good mentors who pour into their life can affect them positively.

But in an ideal world, our self-esteem should be based on our worth as children of God. We, as Christians, should look to God for our self-worth in what God says about us. Too often we listen to the world’s voices saying we are not good enough but God has called us to be something more, to rise above the lies of this world and see ourselves the way He sees us. Until we can do that we are living with the glass half empty. God makes us whole, He makes us new, all we have to do is have faith in him and in return begin to accept ourselves.

For years I have struggled with self-esteem. In elementary, middle school, and early high school I was very self-conscious and critical of myself. Throughout the past couple years I have started to love myself the way I am. I still struggle sometimes but now I find my rest in God and what he has to say. Since finding that peace and confidence I have been able to go through life with a lot more joy. I am not as focused on what others think and feel more freedom.

I have been blessed with the most amazing friends and mentors who have helped me realize my worth. I have gone through some really dark times because of my bad self-esteem. Having people who cared about me and spoke truth into my life saved me. I have been able to see the hand of God in my life through those people and I am blessed beyond measure.

Self-worth is important for one’s well being not only mentally but socially, physically, and spiritually. Self-esteem can affect every part of one’s life. Low self-esteem can take a huge toll mentally and can convince someone that they need to harm themselves physically in order to look a certain way. Socially, relationships and encounters are poisoned by the constant judgment and self-consciousness. But the spiritual effects are the most concerning. Low self-worth can cause someone to forget all that God has given them and made them to be.

There are several bible verses that highlight our worth in the eyes of God. In Luke 12:7 it states, “Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Over and over again God tells us just how wonderfully He created us and that we should not worry what others think but find our worth in Him. Before we were formed God knew us. Jeremiah 1:5 a and b states, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.” We should find our worth in God because He is our creator.

We are often distracted by the images portrayed by the world that surrounds us. But we must remember that as children of God, we have value. It does not matter what people say. It does not matter what the media tells us. It does not matter how often we doubt out worth. Our true worth is found in God.