So Many People People Are Afraid Of Life, Discover More

Don't Settle For What's Comfortable

32
Photo by Asdrubal luna on Unsplash
Photo by Asdrubal luna on Unsplash

One of my favorite movies is "Into The Wild." I'm not going to talk a lot about this movie other than to recommend you watch it. In short, it's about finding yourself through spontaneity, adventure, and nature. I may be biased on the movie's greatness only because I feel I relate to the main character on a strong level. As a college student going to a large, very liberal university, these are some things I have witnessed: Most people think that they are open minded and adventurous and unique people with unique ways of thinking, but they're not. They walk around every day with their venti Starbucks and their cliquey friends and are afraid of anything that may be different than themselves. I realize that statement may come across judgmental, but I see it every day. You go to class, you get your Starbucks, you watch Keeping up with the Kardashians, and you only appreciate nature when it makes for a good Instagram post. I truly, honestly do not think that I'm better than others…but sometimes people are so shallow it physically hurts. For example, the other day I was explaining to someone that I'm a "conversation partner" for the ESL (English as a Second Language) department. So, I tutor a student from Saudi Arabia who wants to improve her English. Explaining this to the person was like talking to bricks. I got, "But…you don't speak Arabic, do you?" I answered that I did not, and the question was followed by, "That's so weird…like, how would that even work? Wow." I'm not kidding. I mean, what is it? What is so unbelievable about that? Is it the fact that they're from Saudi Arabia? Is it the fact that their first language isn't English? Or is it the fact that maybe you don't know anyone from Saudi Arabia? Come on. This is the way a majority of people act?

I have some advice to all you "open-minded" and "liberal" college students. Put away your cell phone and talk to people, first of all. Have a conversation with someone who looks different than you. Don't run away from the woman wearing a hijab. She is not a terrorist. Don't mock the student from Asia by using your hands to pull back your eyelids. (Yes, I have actually seen college students do that.) Don't make fun of someone's broken English, but instead ask yourself, "How much of their language could I speak if I were a guest in their country?" Don't be scared of the transgender. Chances are, they could be the nicest person, and they are probably rejected every single day in ways most of us couldn't even imagine. How can society improve and stop being what some refer to as "basic?" This is where the movie "Into the Wild" comes in. I think what everyone could benefit from is to disconnect from technology, and reconnect with the people around us, and most importantly, nature. Go on an adventure. Really! Not everyone can afford or manage to up and take a spontaneous trip to Greece, or Spain…but you don't have to. Drive to a national park, turn off your phone, take off your socks and shoes, and go for a hike. I just did this, and it was great. It gave me some time to get some fresh air, get away from the screen, away from the drama surrounding me, and I could just take in nature's beauty. If you don't feel like doing that, then keep an open mind and say "yes" to an opportunity to learn something new or try something you haven't tried before. For example, visit a religious house of worship that differs from your own. Or, if you aren't religious, pick a religion and visit their house of worship. I did this lots of times when I was in Japan. I visited and prayed in many Buddhist Temples and Shinto Shrines. However, you don't have to leave the country or even the state to do this. I have also visited a Buddhist temple in Akron, Ohio. It was very fascinating to talk to the Buddhist monks and learn about how they lived and what they believed.

I just see so many people around me who are afraid of life…and they don't even know they are afraid. I don't think that I'm better than anyone else, but I'm wise enough to know I'm different. I want people to fully experience life. I want others to see what's out there and how beautiful it all is. Whether it be discovering nature, learning something new, going on a spontaneous adventure, or anything else. Don't settle for what's comfortable, get comfortable with the unfamiliar.