Seeking Purpose In An Empty World

Seeking Purpose In An Empty World

Being captivated by His purpose for my life, rather than my own.

198
Seeking Purpose In An Empty World

We have all struggled with finding our purpose at one point or another, and our purposes can be different as we go through different seasons of our lives. For me, it's been a two year process of asking God what I am supposed to be doing. I felt a heavy pull from Him two years ago that I should be sharing His word, and so I began writing for The Odyssey. I had great success and I had figured out my purpose, right? Wrong. Soon after the platform at my university folded, and writing for them was no longer an option. I then decided to create a blog. While creating my blog, I felt an insane amount of pressure to be successful. I began to compare myself to other bloggers, their instagrams, their followers, etc. It was so draining! I hated everything about it. I started writing in the first place just to share the love of God, not to keep up with everyone in the world of social media. So I quit. I quit blogging, and I quit writing. This was hard. I began praying continually about my purpose. I began praying over the things that I am - I am a wife, mom, teacher, daughter, sister, and friend. But I still just felt like something was missing, something that I am. Last night, I was praying again and I felt God say that I should be sharing His word. Like okay God, but how? I have nowhere to write, and I do not want to blog. Something then prompted me to try to login to my Odyssey account. I haven't been able to log this account since 2017. The platform folded, and basically kicked us all out of the system - two years ago! BUT GOD, Y'ALL. So here I am again, doing my best to share His goodness and love one article at a time. Seeking my purpose from Him, and not from anything in this world. Freeing myself from distractions and comparison, and instead being captivated with His purpose for my life rather than my own.

We won't be distracted by comparison if we are captivated with purpose. - Bob Goss

Distract - prevent (someone) from giving full attention to something.

"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

Compare - estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between.

"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." Proverbs 14:30

Captivate - attract and hold the interest and attention of; charm.

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever you have learned or recieved or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9

Purpose - the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

"Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

"Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life - comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever." 1 John 2:15-17