Why Everybody Needs to Go See 'Love, Simon' in Theaters

An LGBTQ+ love story for the ages.

477
Flickr

Love, Simon is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I saw it on opening night, and then went and saw it again the day after that. I’m going to see it again this weekend. Despite my love for film, I have never seen a movie in theatres this many times. I mean, going to the movie theatre three times cost more money than the alternative, to wait for it to come out on Netflix.

I know that. I am going to see this movie three times not just because I love it, but because I want it to do well. I want to support this movie more than I have ever wanted to support another movie before in my life.

Why?

Love, Simon is the first mainstream young adult film with a gay main character.

Based on the bestselling novel, Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda (also fantastic), the movie is about a closeted gay character Simon, who has an online relationship with a boy named Blue—and neither of them knows the true identity of the other. You follow Simon as he struggles to figure out who Blue is and watch his family and friend dynamics as he progresses throughout the story.

It's a happy love story. And that's the thing, most stories about gay characters are not happy. They show all the tragedies that revolve around being closeted, or they are the gay best friend.

This movie is a love story between two boys and there are no tragedies in it.

This is not a white-washed movie either, there are many characters who are people of color, including two of the main characters in Simon’s friend group.

His family is accepting. His friends are wonderful. He is able to live a full, happy life and be gay at the same time. Movies in general lack this.

It's a beautiful story that fosters diversity in all aspects of life. Everyone needs to see this movie because it is the future that we hope to build, a future that fosters acceptance for everyone and happiness for all, regardless of sexual orientation.

Please go see Love, Simon. It is crucial that this movie does well. Support it because there are many people who are still too close-minded to see the movie for what it is—a call for love, acceptance, and equality.