The Reports of Seattle's Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

If the season ended today, the Seahawks would make the playoffs.

39

Well, well, well, what do we have here? A Seattle Seahawks team which isn't a complete complete dumpster fire, despite expectations? Looking at the playoff standings through eight weeks, if the season ended today it appears the Seattle Seahawks would qualify for the postseason. In a year where the Seahawks were supposed to be rebuilding, they are trending for a playoff berth at the halfway point.

Not many people thought the Seahawks would be in this position. The common line of thinking revolved around Seattle looking hapless, playing for a ceiling of roughly 5-6 wins at most. Someone even predicted the Seahawks might even contend for the first overall pick in next year's NFL draft. The defense was supposed to be one of the worst units in the League, especially after losing players like Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, and Kam Chancellor.

Instead, the Seahawks are the third-ranked defense in the NFL. They have allowed the fourth-fewest points, the third fewest passing yards, and second in interceptions. Seattle's young defense has stepped up in a way hardly anyone expected they would, and the Legion of Boom might be starting a new era.

As for the offense, we have seen a complete turnaround. In the first two weeks of the season, Seattle's starting offense looked about as well as we predicted. Since the embarrassing loss to the Bears on Monday Night Football, the Seahawks have become a run-first team and are scoring practically at will. Their biggest weakness, offensive line, has surprisingly become one of their biggest assets.

Yes, the season is long, and there is still plenty of football to be played. Not to mention the fact Seattle will be facing quality opponents like the Chiefs, Vikings, Panthers, and Rams once more. But for now, the Seahawks have battled expectations and are performing much better than predicted.