If You Haven't Listened To Kate Bush Yet, You're Sincerely Missing Out

Did you really just spend all of Women's History Month completely oblivious to Kate Bush's existence? Haha you thought.

24

When you ask someone if they know who Queen is, odds are the person you're asking will immediately know all about Freddie Mercury and the rock band that shaped the music of the late 70s and 80s. If you ask someone to list artists who were also making music at that time, odds are you will hear people mention David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Stevie Nicks, or maybe even ABBA. All of these musical artists are ones who deserve to be mentioned as their talents were renowned and efforts in the industry shaped so much of the music we listen to today. Still, it's hard to believe that through all of these musical artists, from this time, that get referred back to time and time again, one that always seems to get sifted out and scarcely mentioned is Kate Bush. She flies under the radar of musical artists from this era, but she also just so happens to be one of my favorite musical artists. In a recent poll, I did on my Instagram, I showed an image of Kate Bush and asked if my followers knew who she was. Of the 100 people that voted, only 19 people recognized her and knew who she was. The results of this poll among this demographic of college students actually disturbed me. I started to feel actual heartache for those who have never experienced listening to Kate Bush, but that's why I'm writing this article.

First a brief history. Who is Kate Bush?

Kate Bush Wuthering Heights. www.youtube.com

Kate Bush was an English musical artist that was known for her artistic and theatrical perspectives on the rock genre. Her first single was released in 1978 entitled "Wuthering Heights" based on the book of the same title. The interlude informs the listener they are in for something extraordinary and this song delivers in every aspect. When Kate Bush finally begins to sing it's pure storytelling. The verses dilute into a delicate and cautious pre-chorus before the song musically bursts into a smooth chorus that sounds like what ribbon dancing would sound like if ribbon dancing was a song. But, her career did not end with this single. She released many albums after this release that rose to some popularity in the United Kingdom, before the release of "Hounds of Love" in 1985 which, could be considered her most renowned album.

Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill - Official Music Video www.youtube.com

"Hounds of Love" is an album I hold near and dear to my heart. I consider it to be a close to perfect album and one that has affected me deeply. In the first half of this album, Bush's recognizable vocals and synths join in holy matrimony to create the dramatic 80s pop that no one knew they needed. Side One of this album opens with "Running Up That Hill", a song that reached the U.S. music charts with its drive and powerhouse orchestrations and diffuses with the beautiful 6-minute masterpiece "Cloudbusting". Still, Side Two of this album is what proves Kate Bush to be a true artist. I can't even begin to spoil Side Two for those who have never listened to "Hounds of Love". Just listen to the album in full and experience it all for yourself. It's so sad to me that Kate Bush is not recognized in this generation, so I'm seeing it as my job to inform everyone and spread my love for the special artist she truly is. Now go and listen to Kate Bush! You won't regret it. <3