Advice From A School Supply Enthusiast

Advice From A School Supply Enthusiast

The things you should and should not invest in for this upcoming school year

1608
Advice From A School Supply Enthusiast

It's that time of year again, where school supply lists for middle and elementary school students are in stores and everyone is scrambling to find the best deals on pencils and notebooks. What do you do if you're over that age? Colleges and high schools don't supply their students with lists to check off everything you need to start the new year. So, in an effort to aid those who have a struggle when it comes to this time of year, here are a couple of tips and tricks on what to purchase and what to avoid!

1. Expanding File Pocket Folders

Avoid these at all costs! They may seem like a cheap alternative when compared to binders and purchasing separate folders for each class, but they're not worth it. These folders tear and rip so easily, they barely last a semester. Once the load within the folders starts getting heavy, the spool in the center that keeps the files together usually breaks off, leaving the file a mess in the end.

2. Five Star Flex Binder

Out of all the school supplies I've tried, I'd say this was my smartest investment. This binder comes with sixty sheets of college ruled loose leaf paper, two tabs with pockets in them as well as index card holders, 3 tabs that act as paper protectors, and twenty sheets of graph paper. This binder is also completely flat, so you can write on it in your lap without having to deal with the typical binder slant! The flat feature of this binder also makes it more compact compared to other binders, which is a huge bonus, especially when your backpack is already filled with heavy textbooks. As a final selling factor, this binder is durable, it's lasted me for over two years!

3. Five Star Stay-Put Folder and File

I'm aware that Five Star is a fairly expensive brand compared to others when it comes to folders, but that's only because their supplies last! I solely buy one folder in addition to the Five Star flat binder (mentioned above), and it's this folder. This folder has lasted me three years (and counting). The folder comes with two pockets, and a little compartment for index cards and the such. This folder serves one purpose to me, and that's homework. Anything I have to take home, such as work, calendars, important papers, etc, all go into this one folder. At the end of every day I clean this folder up and bring it back to repeat the same process for the next day. This folder, in addition to my planner (going into that soon), is the sole reason I've never missed a homework assignment!

4. Durable One Inch Binder

If you're taking a good amount of classes and one binder doesn't cut it (typically for high school students), then any durable one inch binder is a smart investment. Within these binders I usually put in tabs with folders to separate subjects or papers. Sticking to one inch binders is your best bet because they're compact compared to other binders.

5. Three Subject Notebook

It's probably been made clear that I like to use as little space as possible in my bag, therefore instead of buying separate notebooks for each class, I prefer sticking to a three subject notebook. The brand of the notebook doesn't really matter, I just make sure the cover is plastic instead of paper so that it doesn't tear easily. I also admire college ruled paper as opposed to wide ruled because the smaller lines help me write neater, but that aspect is a personal preference!

6. Colored Pens (Gel)

I'm a shameless pen hoarder, I love buying new colored pens. I've practically tried every pen out there, and here's what I learned: gel pens are not worth it. Most gel pens last for one good school year, and then they're out. I've had way too many instances where my pens run out in the middle of my note taking. So, no matter how pretty the pen, don't impulsively buy them because chances are they'll let you down!

7. Flair Pens

Since I'm a pen fanatic, I couldn't just give up on colorful pens. In an effort to combat my disappointment in gel pens, I went out in search for the almost perfect pen, and I finally found it (it only took about six years)! I came across flair pens. If you're unaware, these pens are like Sharpie pens in a sense, except they don't bleed through pages! The pens are also oddly comfortable to hold because they cave in from the front when you open the lid. I definitely recommend these as opposed to purchasing separate red, blue, and black pen packets in which half the pens disappear without your knowledge (we've all been there).

8. Planner

I've went through more planners than I could count, and through them all I've learned various things. First of all, compact things are great but compact planners? Not so much. The first year I invested in a planner, I made sure it was compact (like everything else I owned), but that was a huge mistake. The planner kept getting lost in my bag and it took me forever to find it, sometimes I would find it in between my books. So, make sure to buy a planner that is a medium size, not too small, but not so big to be confused as a notebook either. The second thing I've learned is spiral binding is only efficient with notebooks, not planners! The spiral end would get caught on everything, especially since the binding to planners are more prone to disaster as opposed to durable notebook binding. Finally, I suggest getting a day to day planner! Many people invest in monthly or even weekly planners, but getting a day to day one is more helpful because it allows you more room to write down everything that needs to get down (whether school related or not), as opposed to a weekly planner that gives you limited space to write.

*As a side note, make sure your planner is for the current year. Seems like common sense, right? Except, I've seen people re-use planners... this will only set you up for failure considering the days and dates of every year aren't aligned as some would like.

9. Random helpful things

Some other helpful supplies include, but are not limited to; compact post it note carrier (with clear post it notes to write on), pencil pouch, stapler, mini hole puncher, tape, and scissors.