Scammers Posing As DOT Compliance Service Groups - Tips To Spot A Scam Right Now!

Scammers Posing

244

This is going to be very confusing for you.

Receiving any unclaimed DOT compliance letters telling you to update your documents and filings with the FMCSA and the department of transportation otherwise your license and permits will be revoked feels scary and strange. They also create an unnecessary panic that your deadlines are almost upon you and you haven't done anything to make sure that your business is compliant with the rules and regulations laid down by the authorities.

These companies are easy to spot if they have a name or a pseudonym by which they go. But if this information is vague, you won't even be able to report them to the authorities. DOT compliance scams do exist in abundance these days. If you have been a victim of such scams, you are probably aware of what to do. However, if you are being targeted at the moment, this blog is for you.

What Exactly Is A DOT Compliance Scam Letter?

These are dishonest emails that you receive on your registered email ID, preferably which is under the name of your business. If you have your personal email ID linked to your business, you will receive these letters on that ID as well. Thousands of transport companies and carriers get scammed practically every 6 months or so. You may be approached by these fraud companies in any of the following manners:

• By email or on social media
  • By any registered post
  • Through phone or text messages

The one thing that makes these claims so believable and relatable is the fact that these scammers do a lot of research on their targets. They will gather all the pertinent information about you and your business before they establish contact with your enterprise or any of its representatives. They have a lot of modern techniques at their disposal and they often use flattery and emotional manipulation as well. For example, if you are sensitive or emotional about your business, they would target you in such a way that you would want to enroll in their DOT compliance services and would even be willing to pay a big amount upfront via their preferred mode of payment.

Easy Ways To Spot A DOT Compliance Scam In Progress

• If you receive an offer that comes to you out of the blue, it is better to avoid it
  • There will be instances when someone on the internet, preferably posing as a third party administrator, would ask you to share your bank account details
  • When someone asks you to verify a password or an OTP sent to your registered email ID, avoid it
  • If you get encouraged to open an attachment that has a suspicious link, it is better not to entertain that request
  • There are numerous prizes, lotteries, and similar competitions on the internet practically every day, and if you receive a message to pay up an amount to claim your "winnings", do not do that
  • Some DOT compliance scam companies would encourage you to sign up for their services and "act quickly" before you miss out on their "special offer"
  • If any such company that gets in touch with you has vague or unclear contact details, do not connect with them under any circumstances
  • Before you sign up for any newsletters or any DOT compliance service online, make sure to look for the registered mobile number of the company and also the PO Box before you enroll
  • Have you ever come across a company that calls you over and over again? Yes, always stay away from those people because they might be out to scam you
  • If you come across a statement similar to, "don't tell your family or friends about this special offer", do not associate with that individual/company

How To Protect Yourself From Scammers Pretending To Be An Organization You Know?

Now, this is going to be a little tricky because you can never identify whether the scammer is actually a fraud or a legitimate company you are already aware of. Some DOT compliance scam companies would contact you on behalf of the government or an agency or a Legit DOT compliance service provider you already know about. They might use heavy terminology such as "DOT compliance", "rules and regulations", "social security numbers", "IRS", "fmcsa", "us department of transportation", "Federal bureaus", "Federal rules and laws", and the like. They might also identify themselves as a utility or a DOT compliance facilitator. You are not supposed to associate with them unless you are absolutely sure that the company is 100% legitimate. The very first sign would be them asking for a sign-up amount. If they do, it is your sign to move away from them.

You Must Pay Up In A Specific Way

This is also a very clear sign because only a scammer is going to pressurize you to pay up the sign-up amount in a specific way. It could be anything such as putting up your money on a gift card and giving the number generated back to the scanning company. It may also be by using cryptocurrency or wiring the money to their account through any legitimate compliance company. The entire process or request might seem authentic and you may feel that you can trust this company but this is not something you should entertain at all.

Preventing DOT Compliance Scams On Social Media

Some DOT compliance scam companies might also reach you through your social media profile. You better check your privacy settings regularly to make sure that nobody posts unwanted stuff on your profile. If somebody is asking you for money in exchange for DOT compliance services, double-check them and have them reported if you find something suspicious. Under no circumstances are you supposed to share your passwords or pins or OTPs with anyone on social media. If you are not certain about whether the account of that company or individual is real or not, do not respond to them. If you get repeated requests from that account, block it immediately.

Conclusion

It can be a little difficult to spot DOT compliance scams and avoid them completely. When you are busy managing your day-to-day business operations, keeping your guard on might be a little too much for you and you might get trapped into signing up for a newsletter or similar service. But this blog intends to keep you alert and prevent such instances from happening. In the end, remember to connect with a dependable third-party administrator if you are not able to find the time to keep your business DOT compliant throughout the year.