Saying Goodbye

Saying Goodbye

How to express what the graduating seniors mean to you.

9
Saying Goodbye
University of Portland

The time has come again. It’s the end of the school year. As I reflect on my sophomore year of college, I am overwhelmed by bittersweet emotions. On the one hand, I will soon be free from the endless readings, tests, and papers. I can look forward to four months of watching Netflix and occasionally venturing outside to the beach when I’ve finished a season of a show (or entire series).

But this freedom from school work pales in comparison to all that I will miss on campus, most notably the seniors who are graduating. I have come to know a good number of people who will no longer grace the school grounds next semester, and the thought of not seeing them as I walk to and from class honestly makes my eyes start to tear.

Despite my sadness, I am always inclined to find the positive in most situations, and this one is no different. I think John Green captures my outlook perfectly in his quote: “The truth is that it hurts because it's real. It hurts because it mattered.” My sadness at the thought of the seniors I know not being on campus next semester is a testament to the wonderful impact they have made on my life. My heart aches because of the support and the kindness they have shown me, and I would rather hurt than not experience their presence in my life. I can smile through my tears when I think of the positive moments we have shared, ranging from dancing to drinking tea to simply saying hello.

But how do I say goodbye? A simple “bye” or “have a good summer” or even a hug does not seem adequate enough, and if I tried to express all my emotions to them in person I would most likely end up crying on the spot, which is not ideal. But alas, there is hope to be found. The solution to my problem is actually one that I devised at the end of spring semester last year. Inspired by the words of my hall’s pastoral resident, who told us at the end of mass one night to make sure that we tell our friends who are graduating how much they mean to us, I wrote letters.

Letters are an increasingly outdated but amazing way of communication. They seem to me more personal than texts or e-mails, and carry great sentimental value. I know from personal experience that receiving handwritten notes or letters from people brighten my day. And as someone who is shy and quiet, writing how I feel about others allows me to share how much they mean to me without feeling nervous or embarrassed. I can clearly express my thoughts without the awkwardness of stumbling over my words or repeating myself.

Luckily, letters do not need to be the end. The very reasons they are outdated (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, cell phones, the list could go on) allow us to stay in contact no matter where we may be. So even though goodbyes have been said, and I will no longer see their beautiful faces around campus, I can still keep in touch.

Goodbye graduating class of 2016. You will be missed, but I know you will continue to make positive impacts wherever life takes you.