Difficulty Of Moving On

Sometimes The Hardest Thing Is Letting Go And Starting On A new Path

There is nothing quite like the pain of saying goodbye.

95
Diana Xavier

Letting go and saying goodbye is difficult. There isn't any way around that. It doesn't matter if the goodbye is to a parent, a sibling, a friend, a job, an opportunity, or an experience. The degree of pain may vary, but the pain is there nonetheless.

Letting go is just a part of life. For a period of time your paths may join, but eventually, they separate. This always leads to a bittersweet emotion. You're grateful for the time you had, but you hate that it has come to an end.

When I was 16, I started my first part-time job and loved it. I worked as a Librarian's Assistant at my local Library. I got to read, meet nice people, and just enjoy the atmosphere of a Community Library. It was wonderful. But, when I started college, I needed more income.

Unfortunately, the Library didn't have a higher paying position open, so I had to find a new job. It was time to leave a place that I had been at for three years. I know what you're thinking, it was just a job. But I loved it and it was difficult leaving. Plus, I'm a girl, our emotions just work like that.

I miss that job, but I could feel that I'd spent all the time that I needed to there and it felt right to move on (which reminds me of the saddest part of "Narnia: Prince Caspian"). Thankfully, God has blessed me with another job that I love so much! My bosses are amazing and I am extremely grateful that I've gotten the chance to know them.

The certainty that comes with feeling that it's time is a blessing. While the transition is still hard, this helps make it bearable.

Just recently I completed my work towards my Associate's Degree at South Piedmont Community College (SPCC). I had made it my mission to be involved at SPCC. I was blessed with a scholarship that allowed me to do office and fundraiser work with the SPCC Foundation.

I was also blessed to be asked to join two Honor Societies (Phi Theta Kappa and Sigma Alpha Pi/NSLS). Eventually, my participation in NSLS led to a position as the secretary of their student leadership. The experience that I gained from this position is something that I will always appreciate.

Leaving SPCC, the Honor Societies, and all that I had grown close to at SPCC was hard. They had become not only faculty, teachers, and fellow students but friends and role models. People I looked up to and enjoyed being around. They all impacted my life in so many ways and the bittersweet feeling of closing that chapter of my life is still fresh in my heart.

And so began another chapter, one at East Carolina University. This chapter is currently ongoing and so far I have come into contact with so many beautiful people.

During this part of my journey, I was presented with the opportunity to join East Carolina University's Writing Community on 'The Odyssey'. This opportunity has allowed me to engage with other students who share passions similar to mine.

I have greatly enjoyed participating in the GroupMe chat and seeing the content that they have put forth. Although my time with the Odyssey is coming to an end, I have been extremely blessed to explore writing with such wonderful people. Again, the bittersweet feeling is back. Saying goodbye to good people will never lose its sting.

But I hope that the impact they have made on me will be a lasting one, as I hope the same for my impact on them.

If you are looking for an outlet for your creative side, you should definitely give Odyssey a shot. I definitely don't agree with all the content that is produced through Odyssey, but I absolutely believe that we have a right to produce the content we want. I am grateful that the Odyssey provides a way for that to happen! You'll meet great people and an experience like no other, so don't be afraid to put yourself out there!

I wouldn't trade my time with ECU's community on the Odyssey for anything! I wish them all the best!

Overall, even though goodbyes are hard, I am grateful for them. I believe that they help us to appreciate the time we have and despite the difficulty of letting go, I know that it is time to embrace a new path. Here's to everyone who is letting go and starting on a new path, remember to enjoy wherever you are whenever you're there. God's got you, trust Him and journey on.