It May Not Be Santa, But Your BFF Is Coming To Town

Sometimes friends move away, but they always come home.

15
Treasury Challenge Nonteam

We all have that friend, or maybe more than one, the one who has such big dreams that lead them far away from you. They move across the country for school or go on some extended trip that becomes their lifestyle. Meanwhile, you're back home rooting for them, even though some part of you wants to be angry with them for leaving you.

It's not a jealousy thing, because had you had something like that in mind you probably could have arranged your own exit from Small (or not so small) town USA. But you didn't, so you're here, and she's there and you miss your best friend like your dog misses you when you're gone for a week.

Then one lucky day, you get a phone call or a knock on your front door, and there's your best friend. Even though you have a lot to catch up on because you haven't seen each other in months, and you don't text and FaceTime every day like you promised you would before she left, it's no different than it was the last time you were together, except that it is.

This time, you're more careful with your time together. You're aware of how lucky you are to be laughing and joking together again. This time, you're not talkong about how you can't wait to grow up or finish school or get out of town, because you know that when those things are here she won't be.

So you take your time and cherish all the little moments you used to take for granted, but you're also in a hurry to do all your favorite things. Everything you did for years of friendship now has to be crammed into a 48 hour visit. So you try to get in the car and get all the food you've ever eaten together and listen to all your favorite songs.

Obviously you don't get everything in, but you do some and you catch up. You complain about the annoying things in your lives and gossip about the people you both know from home. You share stories about the things you've been doing since you last saw one another. You talk about the future and when you'll see one another. And just like that, after what seemed like an hour, your friend is 2,000 miles away from you and you're back to the Internet to talk to one another.

However, this trip has made you smile, laugh, cry, what have you, and you have stored even more memories into the BFF file, and you have enough to go on to make it to the next visit. Until next time