Saluting The Seniors

Saluting The Seniors

6

I can honestly say, that as a sophomore in the prime of my college days, I have not given my impending graduation a single thought.  

I have so many other things on my mind, such as group projects and formal dates, that graduation and what it really means has barley occurred to me. It was only recently that I realized what this year’s graduation means for me, my sorority and every other sorority woman who also is not graduating.

It all started last weekend, when I got tons and tons of passdowns from the graduating seniors in my sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta. Once I finished basking in the glory that is new pass down shirts, I realized the seriousness of the situation. People are leaving. Some of my closest friends are not going to be on campus next year. This thought completely overshadowed the excitement of all the new shirts I had just received. How was I supposed to survive next year without them? Who would have my back during recruitment? Who would I go shopping with for a formal dress?

Something that may make this situation different for me than some of you is that my Big is a graduating senior this year. I have been in denial about this fact, since the year started. I cannot imagine what next year is going to like without her. She has been rock since reveal over a year ago. What I am trying to say is that my impending separating anxiety may be a tad stronger than yours. 

While many of you may be thinking that this type of situation may not apply to you, it will some day soon. And that is a scary thought.

Am I ready for the real world? Heck no. I consider myself lucky; I have gotten to know the seniors of my chapter very well. They have definitely made my Greek experience much better. But am I ready for them to leave. The answer is still no. 

Hopefully, you can learn through my mistakes. Get to know your seniors. Take their advice. Learn from their mistakes. Love them while they are here, because they will be leaving. Maybe someday you will have your own sophomore who will be sad that you are leaving and worried she will lose her way without you. In order for that to be true, you, I and every other sorority woman still on campus will have to stand up and take the place of each of the wonderful, honorable women graduating. We will be the new role models and, hopefully, have as big of an impact on new members as the seniors had on us.