Sadness Under 75 Degrees

Sadness Under 75 Degrees

Nikki Walsh

79
Sadness Under 75 Degrees

Ever since I can remember, I disliked the cold, winter months, and I craved the warm sunshine. It could be the typical loving summer because school isn't in session, or, as I grew older, seasonal depression. Mine is a bit different, and here's why. I crave the warm weather, 75 degrees: I crave it. In the summer I have excessive amounts of motivation, excitement, drive, and ambition- in the winter, forget it. I have felt this way for a long time, and each year it intensifies. Today I went out for a run, which I love doing, especially in the heat, no music, just running, and as the warm sunshine fuels my workout, I have great appreciation for these days especially because I know winter is coming. It's hard for certain people to cope with below freezing, dark at 5pm, and the snow. It's dreary. There's a reason why people move to California, Florida, South Carolina, or any warm weather climate year round. My uncle Michael moved out to California shortly after turning 18, and I always looked up to him, and thought that was especially cool. The thought of being surrounded by 75 degree weather and palm trees is enticing to say the very least. I crave that lifestyle, I crave the sunny days, and I crave the warm nights. It fuels my energy and it makes me feel like a totally different person. My birthday falls on July 11th, so part of me wants to blame my love for the warm weather on my summer birthday. This article is in honor of September coming, and knowing what's ahead. I write with encouraging thoughts and warm anticipation for this winter, and my sunshine runs coming to an unfortunate end. It won't be long until the 80 degree bliss is here. Something worth mentioning, and many of us struggle with this, is the lack of motivation that winter brings. It's cold, dark, and the weather is bad, who wants to be productive? This is very valid and very common. I think that the warm weather is a game changer for my mood, productivity, and motivation. Cheers to sunny skies and never ending summer. I wish I had the answers to the sadness that this brings, I really wish I did. Writing is my outlet for relief. Likewise with my uncle, my grandpa, both on my fathers side, thoroughly enjoyed spending his days at Long beach, his favorite beach in the small town of Centerville. I think I got the love for warm weather and sunny skies from my fathers side of the family, and that's something I'm proud of.