Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, It's Time To Start Loving You For YOU

Treat yourself this V-Day.
220

We are now approaching the wonderful, most overrated, yet loved holiday: Valentine’s Day. Now for some people, it is a day where you can count on a dozen roses and a box of chocolates from your significant other. For others, it is the dreaded day of mushy Instagram posts and Facebook love letters. As for me, I fall somewhere in the middle.

There is something about this day that makes people happy and more pleasant to be around, which is definitely something I am not complaining about. However, to me Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be a once a year occasion. If you read my “Christmas All-Year Round” article, you probably have a great idea of where I am going with this one… sorry not sorry, guys.

Sure, it is great to receive flowers or some candy once a year and be reminded either by friends, family, or a significant other, how important and loved you are. But why can’t we make an effort to do this every day of the year? Let's face it; the people you're saying "Happy Valentine's Day" to aren't just important to you on that one day. While it may be awesome to feel loved on February 14th, it feels even better to be loved on that one Tuesday that you had a speech, two papers due, tripped up the stairs spilling coffee all over your new sweatshirt, and had to miss the Xavier game (I don't want to talk about it; too soon). But feeling loved shouldn't have to come from others, either; it's on us to make sure that we are getting the love we deserve.

Self-love is one of the most important things that I have learned about here at college. Being away from all of the people who were most important to you and having to do life every day without them is basically the worst thing ever. But, it's the little things that you do every day to #treatyoself. Take an extra long shower, drink some tea, let yourself watch that one episode of Breaking Bad (even if you have loads of work to do). Mental health and loving yourself is one of the most important things to keep up with in college, along with school work obviously. College is a hard adjustment, even second semester, so allow yourself some time to step away from academics and just do something for you.

If that means buying yourself a bouquet of flowers for Valentine's Day, go ahead and do it, girl. If you're treating yourself to a Fortnite marathon, you do you, people. Whatever it may be, take the time out of your day this V-Day to treat yourself and love you for YOU! Not just February 14th, but everyday. Life is too short; buy the latte, eat the extra fries, paint your nails a new color ... you will thank yourself later.