To My College Roomate, Best Friend, And Cheerleader—You're An Amazing Human Being, And You Deserve The World

Thank you for showing me what it's like to have, and be, a best friend.

149
sydney welch

To my best friend, roommate, and personal cheerleader,

Hey you, yes you, Leah, I’m writing to you about the positive impact you’ve had on my life. Sadly, it isn’t as long as I wish for it to be, but if it was, it would be an entire book. With that being said, thank you for showing me what it’s like to have, and be a best friend.

Freshman year was full of awkward moments, but there is no one I would rather share those moments with, and no one I’d rather co-habitat with in our tiny, 4 by 4 dorm.

Each of those cringey floor meet-and-greets—that lead to getting to know each other—felt like pulling teeth at times. Looking back, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Each spontaneous, awkward, adrenaline-filled moment lead to such a unique friendship.

Thank you for being the girl who has consistently pushed me to be my best self, helped me through my worst situations, and continuously is there for me whenever I need you to be. I can’t thank you enough for being my best friend, roommate, and at times, my mom these past four years of college.

From the nights we stayed in dancing to high school musical duets, watching SpongeBob for hours on end, or going out and thinking someone hotwired our car because there was no way it got towed (LOL).

Not only have we created so many adventures together, but you’re also the one whose cheered me on at every one of my dance shows, which means the world to me. Each moment together created a new story, and I’m eternally grateful to have memories that will last a lifetime.

Throughout our four years of living together, you helped me through every situation imaginable. You were always the person I could count on if boys were being dumb—and trust me, 99% of them are. You helped me pick up the pieces and become a much more independent, badass version of myself, and that is a lesson I will never forget.

You are Khaeleesi, and if anyone ever tells you different, they better bend the knee. You’re the most independent, kind, smart, badass girl I know—and I full-heartedly stand behind that. You’re the one who believes in me when I don’t even believe in myself, and encourages me to always be true to myself.

I love our goofiness, and I love how you’re always you no matter who’s watching.

You deserve the world, and though you may not see yourself, everyone around you knows everything I’ve written above is true. You’re an amazing human being, and I’m going to miss living with you. Here’s to a ‘see you later,’ because it’s never going to be a goodbye.

Lots of love,

Syd