Rookies to Take on Training Camp

Rookies to Take on Training Camp

5
Rookies to Take on Training Camp

Most boys can only dream about being a professional football player in the National Football League, but some are fortunate enough to make it to the next level and take their talents to the league at a young age.

As training camp opens up for rookies in late July, their skills will be showcased to see if they have what it takes to get playing time. All eyes will be on many of the big names, such as Jadeveon Clowney, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Sammy Watkins, and Greg Robinson. Each team has certain rookies that will receive more attention than others because they have a chance to really impact the team.

Being the first overall pick in the 2014 draft, Jadeveon Clowney has a lot of hype to live up to. He is an absolute monster on the field - there is no other way to put it. However, he has dealt with groin issues and is currently recovering from a sports hernia surgery. He is expected to begin training camp on time. The Texans' new head coach, Bill O’Brien, has a chance to turn the team around. Drafting Clowney gives the team a lot of potential to do well throughout the season. Being the former Penn State head coach, Bill O’Brien has a lot of Penn State eyes on him to see what he will do. Maximizing Clowney's potential will be one of the biggest projects O’Brien faces, as well as working with Tom Savage, former Pitt quarterback. 

Penn State fans will also be paying attention to Allen Robinson out in Jacksonville and DaQuan Jones who is playing in Tennessee. Eyes will also be on John Urschel, the former 4.0-student, math-wiz and offensive guard, who will now take his talents to Baltimore.

As for Pennsylvania's professional football, The Pittsburgh Steelers in the past few years have struggled, but maybe this season's new players will help them make it to the playoffs, as the team was able to draft for positions they needed to fill this year. The Philadelphia Eagles have been turning it around with the addition of Chip Kelly as head coach. They were able to make it to the playoffs last season, showing they have the potential to do it again. The Jets have a big question mark when it comes to who will be the quarterback coming into the 2014 season. They drafted Tajh Boyd out of Clemson, but he will mostly battle with Matt Simms for the few snaps Smith and Vick do not take. Geno Smith struggled somewhat as a rookie, but has the potential to win the job. However, Michael Vick has played in the league for many seasons as a starting quarterback with the Falcons and Eagles, so maybe the Jets will decide he's the right man for the job. Only time will tell.

The Cleveland Browns drafted Johnny Manziel with the 22nd overall pick. Many eyes are on “Johnny Football” because he has a tendency for excessive partying. Like many other 21-year-olds, Johnny wants to enjoying partying and “hanging out with the ladies.” The true test will come once training camp starts to see if he is really determined to make it in the league. The Browns have already stated that Brian Hoyer will be their starting quarterback when training camp begins. Manziel will have to prove himself if he wants to gain the starting quarterback label over Hoyer in September when the regular season begins. Manziel definitely has the ability to pass Hoyer if he really works at it. Johnny was the first freshman to ever win the Heisman trophy. His accomplishments at Texas A&M show that he has all the potential in the world to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

It is now up to the 2014 draftees to prove if they have what it takes to make it on the 53-man roster. The rookies will be faced with the ultimate test once training camp begins.