Rom-Coms Are Resurfacing And I'm Here For It

Romantic comedies are very much alive thanks to the help of Netflix.

44

Despite what you think about romantic comedies, whether you love them or hate them, it is evident that they have disappeared from the big screen for a while now.

Recently, however, especially in this new age of streaming channels such as Hulu and Netflix, romantic comedies have made their way back into our hearts.

Netflix recently has released 3 movies that are total rom coms by definition and plot line. All the cliches, tropes, and tears are there, but somehow they're different. These films are, "The Kissing Booth", "Set It Up", and "To All The Boys I've Loved Before". These are just the really popular ones, Netflix has created some other amazing movies, documentaries, and series as well.

A lot of people are crediting the streaming platform for the return of romance because of the success of these particular films.

It has been a long time since there was this much buzz about romantic comedies. The golden age of comedies, the late 90's, paved the way for this new era.

Everyone remembers and loves, "13 Going On 30", "How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days", and "Pretty Woman", just to name a few.

Most of these films follow one of the typical storylines:

+ The girl, sometimes the guy, but mainly the girl falls in love with her best friend. Whoops. Sometimes this works out and sometimes it really doesn't. But you can bet there will be a confession that includes rain or crying or both. (My Best Friend's Wedding, When Harry Met Sally, 13 Going On 30).

+ The two are enemies who really despise each other, somehow that hate turns into love, IDK SOMEHOW GUYS, and it sparks a beautiful romance. (You've Got Mail, The Proposal).

+ The guy (sometimes the girl, but mostly the guy) takes on a bet/deal/newspaper article from some other character in the movie to pretend to fall in love, the two of them actually end up falling in love, but of course, as soon as it gets good, the girl finds out the guy was lying the whole time. They break up, but for some reason and SOMEHOW they end up together again in the end. Probably from some sort of grand gesture. (How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days, Ten Things I Hate About You, She's All That, 27 Dresses).

There are more cliches and tropes I didn't include, but if I'm being honest, those are my favorites.

I suppose people got tired of being able to predict what would happen at the end of the film or feeling as though they had seen it all before.

The romantic comedies that have been coming out recently don't follow that same timeline totally. Of course, the usual comedic relief best friend is still there in most of them and maybe the same gooey ending with the two love interests kissing or confessing their love.

What makes a difference in the movies that are coming out now, (Crazy Rich Asians, Love, Simon, To All The Boys I've Loved Before, Set It Up, Crazy Stupid Love, The Big Sick), is that we are seeing different kinds of couples out there.

Normally it would always be about a male hot shot alpha type and a headstrong woman, who were normally always white, straight, working in some big city, you know because that's so relatable to the masses right?

Now we are seeing high school romances, all Asian casts, films about gay couples, more dynamic storylines when it comes to race, class, and sexuality in general. This is what was needed in order to kickstart the romantic comedy era again. Diversity, a range of romances that reach a bigger audience, original ideas, and screenplays that don't copy the exact format of one another.

The reason people really love these films is that they just make you feel good. Yes, sometimes they are totally unrealistic and cheesy, but really isn't that what we want? It feels nice to forget about school or work/responsibilities and watch Matthew McConaughey take his shirt off no?! Who doesn't want to eat ice cream and cry at the end of "Love Actually?" Whether you love them or hate them, I bet you couldn't watch "Sleepless In Seattle" without your heart melting. And that's the tea sis.