6 Musicians Who Raised Me To Be The Person I Am Today

Stevie Nicks is 100% a witch.

70

My mom and I recently went to a Fleetwood Mac concert. Fleetwood Mac has been my favorite band since I was a freshman in high school. They were also my mom's favorite band when she was in high school. The tickets were her birthday present from me.

Merely days before, my wonderful aunt passed away. My aunt was someone who I thought about when I listened to Fleetwood Mac. She was the "free spirit" of the family and a very empowering woman. These two close events got me to think about all the music and memories that have impacted my life so far.

I grew up listening to Rock & Roll music. My dad owned hundreds of vinyl records. They sat above a staircase. Our house was filled with music a majority of my childhood. My siblings and I grew up going to concerts and being told: "this is real music".

1. Fleetwood Mac

Our witch queen.

I saw Fleetwood Mac in concert. Stevie Nicks 100% a witch and we love her even more. The lyrics of their songs are so packed with emotion, narrative, and imagery. All their voices are magical and they can all carry themselves even in 2019. I recommend that you listen to the following songs: "Landslide", "Gypsy", and "Gold Dust Woman."

2. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Rest In Peace our sweet Floridian Rock & Roll King.

We all know "Free Fallin'". Tom Petty played an impactful part of my childhood. My dad always played his solo works and his bands. When the article about the death of Tom Petty came out, we all texted each other. I think I even called my dad to talk on the phone with him. It was a sad day. Songs I recommend: "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "Wildflowers", and "Don't Do Me Like That".

3. Jim Croce

The Forgotten Folk King

All Music

I can remember jumping around and dancing in our living room to Jim Croce. Jim Croce's songs tell stories. His voice makes you want to listen, sing, dance, and smile. His songs can also spark tears and deep thought. Songs I recommend: "Tomorrow's Gonna Be A Brighter Day", "Alabama Rain", and "Box #10".

4. Elton John

Creative Genius

Next month my family is seeing Elton John's farewell tour. Us kids got our dad tickets for his birthday. Elton John is a creative genius. His costumes, lyrics, and performances are gold. I have countless memories singing along to his songs. Songs I recommend: "Crocodile Rock", "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", and "Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long Time)".

5. Creedence Clearwater Revival

Southern Rock Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDRtNcOBM4

I didn't know I needed their songs until I paid attention. They bring southern roots into rock and keep it alive. Their songs put me in a great mood. Songs I recommend: "Fortunate Son", "Bad Moon Rising", and "Up Around The Bend".

6. Dolly Parton

A Badass Blonde

What a woman! Dolly Parton is an icon. She is a powerful woman who flaunted her fake boobs, embraced her wigs, and always had her nails done. Dolly knew female empowerment. I grew up going to her amusement park, Dollywood. Songs I recommend: "9 to 5", "Here You Come Again", and "I Will Always Love You".

Go listen to "the real music."