NFL and Robotic Officials

It May Be Time For The NFL To Consider Robotic Offials

If the latest Saints game proved anything, it's that referees can be flawed.

69

As with any blown call in sports, people are wanting there to be a change with the way that games are officiated in the NFL. While most people think the Saints should have been able to challenge the call on the field, the next best option in people's minds is that there should be robotic officials at the game. After a video went viral in the moments after the NFC Championship Game, Instagram user, @realroflo recreating the play, and after the play, the Madden video game officials called pass interference. One of the options being passed around had been the use of robotic officials at NFL games. This has been tried in different sports, such as baseball, where there are many black and white calls that can be made, robotic umpires have been used, and very rarely has there been arguments about the balls and strike calls.

While many people suggest that the human element of the game is what makes football so great, in a situation where that team is less than a minute away from going to the Super Bowl, there shouldn't be a terrible call that is that obvious, cost them a chance at the Super Bowl. One of biggest cases for robotic officials really came in the late 2000s when Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga, was one out away from a perfect game, but after a missed call on what would have been the last out of the game, Galarraga was forced to settle with a one-hit shutout. Since then other methods besides robotic officials have been introduced to help alleviate these missed calls, such as instant replay, and challenging calls in the field.

One way that could have saved that catastrophe from happening is if there was an opportunity for the Saints to challenge the call on the field, in 1999 the NFL would allow teams to challenge certain plays, like whether or not there was a catch, if a touchdown was correctly called, or if a runner made the first down or not. One rule that has prohibited to challenge is pass interference. A call where it one of the few calls in football that can be a judgment call, should have the opportunity to challenge by the other team, especially in a situation such as the one in question where the game is on the line. We have seen in other sports where a new rule or system is put into place, that the lower levels of that sport will try it out, to see if it is acceptable for the professional game.

Unfortunately for the NFL, the only true lower division of football is NCAA College Football. But starting the February the Alliance of American Football (AAF) will begin its first season and is working with the NFL. The could quite possibly be an opportunity to try allowing challenges for pass interference to if it works as well as people think it should.

As stated on Tuesday's episode of "Quick Hits with Pat and Digs," there are hundreds of missed calls throughout the season, why should one missed call cause for such a change? It was also stated that in that situation a called shouldn't be missed that egregiously. In that game, there were plenty of opportunities for the Saints to end the game so that, even if the call was missed it wouldn't affect the out the outcome of the game. While the refs did miss the call, the Saints didn't help their cause by miss managing the clock and putting the officials in that situation.

We have seen in the past where clock management has turned around the outcome of a game, so 100% of the blame shouldn't have gone on the refs. Obviously because the refs are put under a microscope for a game of that magnitude, there shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction to one missed call, as thousands of missed calls will happen throughout the season, and the Saints shouldn't have been in a situation where they were one missed call away from going to the Super Bowl.