Road Trips Do's And Don'ts

Road Trips Do's And Don'ts

There's no better way to explore.

165
Road Trips Do's And Don'ts
Marianna Bolanos

Have you ever wanted to go on a road trip but have no clue how to go about it? I remember taking my first road trip at eighteen with my bestfriend and being so nervous. Being on the road for such a long period of time can be a bit scary at times. After taking so many road trips the last few years, I decided it was time to come up with a list of Do's and Don'ts for those who are about to embark on their first road trip

Do’s

• ITINERARY! It's so important to plan ahead before you go anywhere. Times are very important so you know your options throughout the day. People waste so much time getting to their location and trying to find things to do. With an Itinerary, you can just pick and choose from your various options.
  • Have a playlist ready. Music is so important when it comes to driving miles and miles. Come up with a playlist of your favorite songs (throwbacks are always the best).
  • When I go on a road trip, lemon drops are my go-to candy. Chips, candy, and prepackaged food is always good so that you're not wasting time stopping and buying food.
  • Charging ports is a complete must. Who wants to go on a long trip with no phones or iPods?
  • Making sure your car is in great shape to travel. From tire pressure, oil change, and every other little thing you need to check. CHECK!
  • Have a budget. Before I go away, I usually check prices for any activities we are going to be doing (always check for free events and days). It’s really good to have an idea of how much money you'll be spending.
  • Headphones for the passengers. Not everyone will like listening to Modest Mouse, Sum 41, and Twenty One Pilots.

Don’ts

• Wait last minute to put gas in when it's already on E. You'll be having mini heart attacks when the next stop is like 15 miles away.
  • Drive if you're exhausted. My biggest fear when road tripping is falling asleep on the wheel. If you're tired, please stop and rest. It's worth it.
  • Overpack. Yes, I know we need outfits for every possible event, but don't forget about pulling your bag in and our of the car every time you check into a new hotel. Plus, it adds extra weight to the car.
  • Wait till last minute to plan everything. Hotels are cheaper when you book ahead.
  • Be so strict when it comes to the itinerary. The way I plan my itinerary out is by listing every option possible (with times and prices). You can pick and choose. Don't be that person who's demanding people because of time. That's not enjoying a vacation.
  • If a place looks sketchy, it's best that you don't go there. If it's a total must, just go in groups.
  • Be cheap. One thing we all hate is when people are cheap. Always bring extra money cause you never know.
  • Distract the driver. You want to make it to your destination alive, right?
  • And don't go on vacation with people you can't stand to be in a car with for more than 20 minutes.

There is so much more to list but I'll just keep it simple! Road trips are so much fun and I recommend you take at least one with your friends. Road trips don't have to be hours long. Even just an hour drive to explore new cities is fun. The memories, laughter, and bonds you create with them will be amazing. You can learn about new places and the people you're traveling with on a whole new level. Road tripping is one of the most incredible experiences that should be engaged in at least once in your life.

Have you ever wanted to go on a road trip but have no clue how to go about it? I remember taking my first road trip at eighteen with my best friend and being so nervous. Being on the road for such a long period of time can be a bit scary at times. After taking so many road trips the last few years, I decided it was time to come up with a list of Do's and Don'ts for those who are about to embark on their first road trip