A Review Of The Nordstrom Credit Card And Why I Regret Not Applying For One

Store credit cards can have many benefits and many pitfalls. After I missed out on some of my favorite items from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale, I decided that next time, I wanted early access. But signing up for a credit card is a big deal. Checkout the pros and cons of the Nordstrom card and my take on whether or not you would find it beneficial to apply for one!

6983
Nordstrom

You've probably seen advertisements for the Nordstrom Anniversary sale across social media as well as countless blog posts about the great deals and fall styles. I even wrote about the best fall trends from the Nordstrom anniversary sale!

However, I am not a Nordstrom card holder so I waited for the public sale to open up on the 21st to move all of my "wish list" items into my shopping cart. I had been watching my favorite items online for the whole week or so of the private access sale and noticed that nearly all of them were getting to be low stock or sold out-but I wasn't worried.

The bloggers I follow were giving updates about items that were being restocked and all of that, so I thought that surely when the sale goes public, everything will be restocked at least when it opens if not throughout the sale.

Let me tell you, I woke up at midnight to make my purchases so that I could get all my favorites and was so disappointed to see that literally every single item I had planned on purchasing was either sold out or only available in other sizes and colors that I did not care for.

Needless to say, I was kicking myself for not applying for the Nordstrom card during the early access sale. I thought about applying for one now, but I had already missed out on the once-a-year sale. Plus, I knew that there were catches and potential credit pitfalls to store credit cards that could outweigh the benefits so I started doing a little research. Here is what I found!

Nordstrom cards are designed for frequent and loyal Nordstrom customers who can potentially rack up significant benefits through their annual Nordstrom spending. To reward customers, the store offers various perks and benefits to maintain a positive relationship. The benefits that you get increase as your annual Nordstrom spending increases, so the store is really seeking to reward big spenders the most.

Card Options

Nordstrom offers a variety of card options that allow you to accrue store credit, get free alterations, choose "triple point days" and most importantly, shop the anniversary sale early!

1. Nordstrom Retail Card

This card can only be used at Nordstrom stores. You will earn 2 points for every dollar spent at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, HauteLook and Trunk Club.

2. Visa Platinum

You can use this card just like a regular visa. You'll earn 2 points for every dollar spent at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, HauteLook and Trunk Club, as well as 1 point for every dollar spent elsewhere.

3. Visa Signature

This card offers the same benefits of the Platinum but also offers travel promotions and benefits as well as even earlier access to events. These card holders get a one-day head start on even the early access anniversary sale.

Benefits

Rewards

Every Nordstrom card holder will get 2 points for every dollar spent at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, HauteLook, and Trunk Club. If you opt for a Nordstrom Visa, you can also earn 1 point per dollar spent elsewhere. Once you reach 2,000 points, Nordstrom will reward you with a $20 Nordstrom Note which is essentially like store credit. Essentially, every Nordstrom card holder will get 2% back on Nordstrom purchases and those who opt for the visa cards will receive an additional 1% back on all other purchases.

Levels

To assign benefits, Nordstrom uses a tiered system that has four levels based upon your annual Nordstrom spending. The more you spend, the better the rewards.

LEVEL 1 (up to $1999 annual Nordstrom spending)

Receives one personally scheduled triple point day per year and up to $100 in alterations.

LEVEL 2 ($2000- $4999 annual Nordstrom spending)

Receives two personally scheduled triple point day per year, up to $200 in alterations and an exclusive invitation to a holiday event.

LEVEL 3 ($5000- $9999 annual Nordstrom spending)

Receives three personally scheduled triple point day per year, up to $300 in alterations, an exclusive invitation to a holiday event and experience packages with purchases.

LEVEL 4 ($10,000+ annual Nordstrom spending)

Receives four personally scheduled triple point day per year, unlimited free alterations, an exclusive invitation to a holiday event, experience packages with purchases, and on-the-house VIP experiences such as spa days or dinners.

Triple Point days

On triple point days, you'll earn 6 points per dollar spent. You schedule when you want to use your triple point days so that you can make the most of your spending. It's best to use these on days when you plan to make a big purchase or many purchases. You technically only have to spend $334 on your triple point day in order to reach 2000 points and receive your $20 reward. The number of triple point days that you get per year varies depending on your level so make sure to plan accordingly!

Bonus Point Events

Throughout the year, Nordstrom also offers bonus point events where you can earn extra points on your purchases that day- sometimes up to 10x the regular points! Keep a lookout for these days that are scattered around the Nordstrom yearly calendar and make the most of these days when you can!

Introductory Offer

On the day you receive your Nordstrom card, they will offer you a $20 note if you spend $100 dollars that day. It's basically just a 20% discount for that day, but still, you can save a little money.

No Annual Fee

You do not have to pay annually to keep your card and earn benefits!

Most importantly, Early Access to the Anniversary Sale

This is the #1 concern, right? Every Nordstrom card holder has early access to the #Nsale, however, level 4 members do have a one-day head start on even the exclusive access portion of the sale.

Watch Out For

APR

The APR is high just like most retail store cards, so it's best to pay it off ASAP! Rates range anywhere from about 11% for high-credit-score card holders up to even 23% for low-credit-score card holders. So watch out for holding on to that balance too long. You don't want this to hurt your credit score!

Visa Rewards are Exclusive to Nordstrom

One down fall, if you're looking to be rewarded for all of your purchases, both at Nordstrom and elsewhere, is that your rewards will only be in Nordstrom notes. For frequent Nordstrom shoppers, this may be a great thing! But if you're looking to earn cash-back that you can spend however you would like, this may not be too appealing. Plus, on purchases outside of Nordstrom, you'll only recieve 1% cash back on those purchases, which is less than you could get with other reward credit cards.

Bottom Line

If you're a frequent shopper at Nordstrom and/or Nordstrom affiliate stores, you will probably find the Nordstrom card "worth it" and a saving-savvy addition to your wallet. With benefits, rewards and early access to sales, this card could help you save on rarely discounted items and brands that you crave. Most Nordstrom lovers will be fine sticking to the Nordstrom retail card. However, if you opt for one of the Visa cards, you will only earn 1% cash back on purchases outside of Nordstrom, which is not quite as competitive as various reward credit cards on the market. However, it will make sure that you are accruing Nordstrom dollars with every purchase every day. It just depends on how deep your love for Nordstrom runs!

Personally, I think that once I find a time where there are a lot of available items on my account wishlist, I will apply for the retail card. The benefits that come standard on every card are just enough for my spending habits and I would much prefer to make the purchases outside of Nordstrom on a debit card, so the money is drawn directly from my checking account and I don't have to worry about missing a payment down the line. Opening a credit card under your name for the first time is also a great way to start building credit, as long as you know you will have the money to pay it off and that you won't forget to keep up with it.

____________________________________________________________

I hope that this helps you to decide if a Nordstrom card is right for you and showed you some key things to look for in any retail credit card. Remember to utilize your bonus point opportunities, shop smart, and don't miss a payment- you don't want to lower your credit score. Happy shopping y'all! :)