review of unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Review of New episodes of "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"

The new and FINAL episodes, unfortunately.

28
Photo Credit: Netflix

If you know me you know I'm a huge fan of the Netflix original show 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" so when the newest episodes came out I was excited to watch them, although I was sad that it was a season finale, I knew the episodes were going to be good. And they were. Although the show is called 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt', most of the jokes and plots revolve around Titus, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

For example, one of the Titus subplots, from the episode "Kimmy Fights a fire monster!" is that Titus has one line in Daredevil as Daredevil's doorman in an episode that didn't even air, and the episode doesn't is hit on by a spy who only dates him to gather information for an investigation to file a case on a perverted puppet (makes sense in context of the earlier episodes in the season) and delivers the iconic line "I was once captured by Hezbollah. They got me addicted to opium. They made me beat my best friend to death. I broke both my legs jumping out the window and trying to escape, and, while suffering heroin withdrawal, I dragged myself and my friend's dead body 50 kilometers to the Beqaa Valley. You see, I got through that. I made it through that. But this? I don't know if I can take this."

The most emotional new episode is definitely "The Sliding Van Doors". Inspired by 1998 rom-com "The sliding doors" but with a much darker twist, the episode explores an alternate timeline. The episode starts with the Kimmy and Titus almost being murdered by a guy pretending to be a cable guy- her experience being kidnapped had made her wary and cautious so she successfully caught the suspicious signs and saved herself and Titus. Then, they sit down to watch the movie "The Sliding Doors" which Kimmy was supposed to watch the day she got kidnapped. This leads to the imagine of what could have happened if Kimmy never got kidnapped, Titus never auditioned for Lion King in Broadway, Jaqueline got married to Mikey (who is still in the closet in this timeline), and Lillian became the head of a Latin American street gang. In the end, Kimmy and Titus end up meeting anyway and since Titus is still in the closet they get married. The same fake cable guy tries to murder them in this timeline, but this time he succeeds because Kimmy is too naive in this timeline because she hasn't been kidnapped.

Back to the main timeline, Titus asks Kimmy "Do you ever wonder what would have happened if you hadn't got in that van?" to which Kimmy responds firmly "No. There's no point. I've been through a lot of terrible stuff that I wish had never happened. But I still have to believe that this is where I'm meant to be because if I didn't, I'd go crazy." This can be applied to any of our lives and was a profound moment of truth in a generally comedic show.

All in all, it's a great show and the new episodes did not disappoint. Although I'm sad that it's ending, I'm glad it went out with a bang.