A Track-By-Track Review Of Moose Blood's "I Don't Think I Can Do This Anymore"

With its raw lyrics and hard-hitting instrumentals, Moose Blood’s 2018 release “I Don’t Think I Can Do This Anymore” solidifies their role as a quintessential pop-punk/emo revivalist band.

1409
EveryPixel

The Canterbury-based emo band Moose Blood has long been a staple of revivalist pop-punk music, ever since their 2012 self-released "Bukowski Demo" and 2014 debut album "I’ll Keep You In Mind, From Time to Time." One might also know them from their second studio album, "Blush," released in 2016.

I’ll admit, I’m personally biased towards the album “Blush.” Moose Blood released “Blush” in August of 2016, right when I started gearing up to move to Richmond, Virginia to attend VCU. It was a point in my life where I was full of excitement, uncertainty and nerves--truthfully it was more like 99 percent nerves and uncertainty, and 1 percent excitement, but still. I was looking forward to what life and what college in particular had in store for me, but I was stuck in a period of nostalgia, as I reflected back on the life I was about to leave. The album "Blush" was like a manifestation of the metaphorical “rose-colored glasses” I wore when I looked back on my past, and the upbeat-yet-raw lyrics perfectly articulated the mix of happy and sad I felt at the time.

Separating from my personal opinion of the album, "Blush" brought Moose Blood into new territory: from glum tunes and lyrics reminiscent of pop-punk icons American Football, to a sunnier and more upbeat sound with lyrics that are raw and full of emotion. The record took on an overtone of pastel pink, illustrating the album’s title and overall aesthetic. Each track is only one word long and reads like a poem, with song titles such as “Pastel,” “Honey,” and “Shimmer” that reflect the pretty, atmospheric vibe of the album.

Fast-forward to today, and the band has recently released their third studio album, titled: “I Don’t Think I Can Do This Anymore.” The album, similar to the overtone of “Blush,” has a dreamy, pastel blue aesthetic, which is represented through the whole album--from the simple blue-and-white cover art to the gloomy track titles, such as “You Left In the Worst Way.”

The album's sound is not so much a step forward in style than it is a standstill--“I Don’t Think I Can Do This Anymore” portrays the poppier, engaging sound the band perfected in the previous album “Blush.” A long-time Moose Blood fan will be able to recognize the hard-hitting bass and catchy hooks that the band has become known for, as well as the typical pop-punk lyrics that center around girls, smoking cigarettes, heartbreak, and more cigarettes.

The album begins with what is arguably the most charming track of them all: “Have I Told You Enough” stood out to me for its seamless musical production, with frontman Eddy Brewerton’s vocals and lead guitar riffs all flowing together to create a warm, optimistic invitation to the rest of the album. At Moose Blood's show at The Canal Club on Tuesday, March 21, Brewerton announced the song as one he wrote for his child, which only make the lyrics “Haven’t I told you enough that you are everything / 'Cause you’re mine, and I will always say that” hit home even harder.

The next track, “Talk In Your Sleep” is the album’s single, and has already amassed a hefty 1.5 million streams on Spotify. This song picks up the pace a little compared to the first track and features a quintessential emo/romantic chorus that was practically made for screaming along to while thinking about a crush or significant other. The breakdown near the end of the song gives the listener a well-deserved rest from the hook’s lyrics, which are impassioned yet somewhat overstated.

Moose Blood capitalizes even further off of their sunny, punk sound in the album’s third and fourth tracks. The third song, “Just Outside,” is one many can relate to: the lyrics follow the frustrating story of dealing with a friend who is going through something hard; but refuses to talk about it or ask for help. While the lyrics are relatable, they are somewhat tired and don’t reach too far out of the box in terms of originality or innovation. Similar notions are found in the fourth track, “You Left In the Worst Way”; whose lyrics are somewhat lackluster but are still able to flow smoothly on top of instrumentals. Track number five, “All The Time,” is just another example of Moose Blood’s matured style and ability to connect with the slighted or brokenhearted. With its typically gloomy lyrics, this track risks bleeding into the previous two, but Eddy Brewerton’s weary yet determined vocals carry it out of oblivion.

“Can We Stay Like This” is the album’s halfway point, and stands out from the rest. This track is more wistful and nostalgic, which gives the listener a happy break from the otherwise exhausted tone of the album. Similar to the previous song, the mix of tempo and striking choruses benefits greatly from Brewerton’s impressive vocal range.

If “Can We Stay Like This” was too upbeat of a song for some, they’ll be pleased with the following seventh track, “Pull Me From the Floor,” which takes the blue, exasperated tone of the album to a new level in its haunting lyrics: “I remember our last night / The way that you left / I know it didn’t feel right / And it still haunts me.” This track is one that doesn’t leave the realm of Moose Blood’s typical style, but still accomplishes its goal.

The eighth track, “Walk All Day With You” slows down to a softer, more acoustic route, and is similar to the single “Talk in Your Sleep” in that it’s a song practically made for singing (or crying) along to while thinking about a love interest. The lyrics are softly stated over the acoustic guitar, helping them to resonate even harder with listeners. Long-time Moose Blood fans will feel nostalgia over this song; as it bears resemblance to the song “Cherry” off of their 2014 debut album. The shockingly raw, downtrodden lyrics found in both “Walk All Day With You” and “Cherry” is part of what sets Moose Blood apart from the pack, in terms of showing obvious personal connections to their music.

The ninth track, “Such a Shame,” is another obviously personal song, but this one avoids drowning in Moose Blood’s typical misery with uptempo cuts and straining vocals. The chorus: “If I could go back now / I’d say the things I should / And let you know that I am here because of you” illustrates the feeling of nostalgia and the frustrating realization that you could’ve done better in the past--something that many, including myself, can relate to. This song in particular is another example of what is perhaps Moose Blood’s most valuable ability; the ability to write deeply personal songs that are descriptive of a tough life situation, but at the same time general enough that practically anyone can relate and enjoy the music.

“Promise Me” is the second-to-last track of IDTICDTA, and is yet another iteration of catchy guitar seamlessly flowing with harmonious melodies from Brewerton, all coming together to pack a hard-hitting, miserable-yet-hopeful punch. The instrumentals present a fun, post-rock sound that differs from Moose Blood’s typical pop-punk tone, especially within the song’s ending breakdown.

The eleventh and final track “It’s Too Much” presents itself as a perfect closer. The vibe of desperation and exasperation built up over the entire album finally comes to a tipping point in this track, with the lyrics “I think I’ve had enough / Please take me home.” The lyrics themselves are simple and honest, in a way that yet again demonstrates Moose Blood’s ability to create something for anybody and everybody. Instrumentally, it’s more laid-back compared to the rest of the album but remains just as uncompromising due to the echoing guitar and powerful sense of desolation. The last track seems to squeeze every last ounce of emotion out of the listener, which might’ve been its intent: Brewerton said he hopes fans can take from this album for whatever they might be dealing with in life--that sentiment is perfectly articulated within “It’s Too Much,” which gives listeners the opportunity to relate to the song’s outspoken misery.

Overall, “I Don’t Think I Can Do This Anymore” truly does accomplish what Moose Blood set out to portray, which is an emotional, personal journey that anyone can relate to and enjoy. The album has typical pop-punk/emo tendencies but stands out with its shockingly honest lyrics and catchy guitar riffs. In addition, production value has greatly increased; which is evident through the sharp instrumentals and talent of the newly-hired drummer Lee Munday. It’s worth mentioning, however, that the subject matter is nothing out of the ordinary, which could work to the band’s disadvantage as the pop-punk genre becomes more and more saturated with similar depressing overtones and lyrics. All of the lyrics would have benefitted from more creativity and less focus on typical pop-punk subjects like relationships, heartbreak, girls and cigarettes. Despite this, the band is still able to showcase its talent instrumentally and vocally, which will likely work in their favor as they continue writing and releasing music.

Personally, I love “I Don’t Think I Can Do This Anymore,” and I know I’ll be jamming it for months to come. I think it is a quintessential pop-punk/emo revival album, and perfectly encapsulates Moose Blood’s ability to create music that is fun, desperate, hopeful and miserable all at the same time.