I'm Calling Out Clothing Retailers For Not Catering To Women Of All Body Types

Women should be able to choose how much of their bodies they want to show off during the summer.
240

Summer is upon us, and that means temperatures are rising once again. Most of us are more than happy to say farewell to the frigid winds and unwanted snow, but there are also those among us who would rather skip summer entirely.

Though many look forward to trips to the beach and days spent by the pool, summer can be a difficult season for anyone struggling with body image issues.

It's hard enough that so many summer activities require you to practically strip down to nothing, but clothing stores now make it harder to feel comfortable on an average day as well.

The truth is that most retailers don't cater to women above a certain size, especially during the warmer seasons.

I mean, sure. Stores sell shorts, crop tops and bikinis in all different sizes. And if you can confidently wear these things, more power to you.

But there are plenty of women who dread summer solely for the fact that they have to get dressed in the morning. Because while a wide range of sizes is printed on these clothes, most of them just aren't built to flatter certain body types.

Stores like Forever 21 and H&M used to sell longer shorts, skater dresses and a variety of other options for shoppers who preferred more coverage or a looser wardrobe.

Lately, though, you'll be hard-pressed to find outfits that aren't skin tight or practically see through. Especially at cheaper retailers.

The lack of options makes it harder for women who aren't as comfortable in their skin to stay cool and confident simultaneously. And while we can and should preach body positivity, that doesn't change the fact that these women deserve to feel comfortable during summer days.

Clothing retailers need to make it easier for women to find clothes that suit their needs. And these women shouldn't need to scour the internet or pay extra money to do so.

This doesn't mean we need to rid the world of revealing clothing. But making room for both will make so many lives easier. Because frankly, getting ready in the morning shouldn't be a major source of stress for anyone.