Why A Store Credit Card Is Never Worth It

If You Want Points And Prizes, Ditch Your Retail Credit Card And Go To Chuck E. Cheese

Do not fall into the trap of a commitment you're not ready for.

119

Please, please, please do not try to convince yourself to apply for that shiny plastic pink card the Victoria's Secret employee is dangling in front of you.

You may be thinking, what's the problem with getting my own credit card that just so happens to reward me for using it?

It's not only going to "reward" you for using it, it's also going to burden you for using it.

Credit cards, in general, are not all bad. You can use one and pay off the money you used immediately to keep a squeaky clean credit score. You might want one to furnish your apartment or if you're in a pinch financially. It's okay to get that Citi or Discover card because you've probably planned out what type of purchases you will be utilizing it for. After all, it's important to build experience budgeting and paying people back so you build the natural habit of being financially responsible.

Sephora, Disney, and Amazon are great places to shop, not places to tether the wellbeing of your credit score to.

Amazon entices you with their offer of a $10 gift card if you apply for the Amazon Card. Apple advertises its sleek and colorful chrome card as a must-have for any Apple customer. Some companies boast a point per dollar spent for rewards tiers that could score you an "exclusive" tote bag or freebie. These benefits do not outweigh high APRs, foreign transaction fees, and outrageously high interest rates or general fees.

According to a WalletHub credit card review on the Dillard's Credit Card, for every 1500 points you accumulate, you recieve a $10 gift certificate. With two points assigned to every dollar spent at Dillard's, you would have to spend $750 dollars for a measly $10 back. This trickery is disguised with the candy-coated point system to encourage you to empty your pockets at the department store

If you want to win points and redeem them for prizes, go to Chuck E. Cheese. A credit card is not a toy, it is a commitment.

Before deciding on which credit card you want, try visiting similar credit card reviews on WalletHub so you can pick out which will be the best option for you. WalletHub appropriately outlines the important details and specifics of the card you're interested in so you know what to expect.

Many people get sucked into the trap of applying in-store for credit cards because an employee persuades them. Remember, these employees are trained to list every last sweet reward you can receive for being a cardholder, they're probably even making a commission for every accepted application. It's okay to say no! Do not fall into the trap of a commitment you're not prepared for. Know every detail of your card before you say "okay."

If you like the idea of the convenience of having a credit card from your favorite store, remember that your credit card purchases will not always be makeup and they won't always be a pair of shoes from Journeys. The department store you go to twice a year shouldn't be causing an insane amount of debt for you just because you didn't want to seem rude to the lady at the counter.

It's okay to be cautious, especially with your money. Your money is YOUR money! Owning a company's credit card isn't equal to proving your loyalty to them.

Being informed about a decision just like this one opens the door for you to make informed decisions in other aspects of your life, too! Store credit cards are not the end all be all, commit to something only if you know you're ready to.