8 Best Chicago-Only Restaurants To Try While Visiting The Chi

Whether you've never been to Chicago or lived around here your whole life, we all want a taste of Chicago.

148
Chicago Mag

As a girl who was born in the suburbs of Chicago, you'd probably think I have no say in what goes on during a Chicago summer. However, with Chicago's great public transport system going in and out of the center of the city (otherwise known as "the loop"), along with the neighborhoods of Chicago and the suburban cities surrounding Chicago, enjoying summer all over Chicagoland is very fun and super easy! One thing that has always drawn me to anything around this city is nothing other than the food it serves. With such a wide variety of places to go and things to try, here is a list I've collected of maybe some new or different food in Chicago if you're visiting (or have not tried yet!):

1. Buffalo Joe's

I know Chicago is known for their deep dish pizza (and arguably Portillo's) but LET ME TELL YOU that if you can get your hands on some Buffalo Joe's chicken wings, please do. I'd suggest going to their Evanston location (a Northshore suburb of Chicago and very close to the city) as you can take your wings to go and tour Northwestern University and sit on the rocks along the beach.

2. Mahalo

The ambiance is beautiful: based off Hawaiian culture, if you don't come her for the food, at least come there for aesthetically pleasing shades of light blue...or for their really yummy juices...or the fact they're located in Wicker Park (a neighborhood in/of Chicago).

3. Pizano's

Back to my comment about deep dish, with much of an Italian influence, along with many other immigrant cultures, this town is crawling with Italian restaurants. I personally love this places for the fact that when I had gone here for my birthday, they had such friendliness to them, very similar to how they say they treat their own family. The location is great if you take the train as it is in the heart of Chicago, right in "the loop".

4. 3 Arts Club Cafe

A perfect place to brunch along the Gold Coast Area of Chicago, near along Lake Michigan beach, I think the picture stands alone for a reason to experience the beauty of eating in a cafe like this.

5. Dick's Last Resort

Let's just say, there's a reason I didn't use my own picture of when I've been to this restaurant. If you could think the opposite of mid-western hospitality, that would be the epitome of Dick's. They serve you with insults and harsh playful banter that is worse the closer you are to being an actual adult. Also, beware of the big white hats. You'd think why would I even suggest a place like this but it is such a fun, American style meal, along the Chicago River, joking around and laughing about yourselves with those around you.

6. Ming Hin Dim Sum

Buffets are great, but dim sum is a whole other level. In the heart of Chinatown Chicago, Ming Hin serves as your order. You get small portions of what you want, being able to try a large assortment of dishes. It is a very family style kind of meal, as the food comes, goes, and is shared with the ones around the table's lazy susan. Good thing tea is free because you will need something to wash down all the different food you're trying!

7. Chicago's Home of Chicken & Waffles

Tracing back to the location's history, the Chicken & Waffles' House is located on the South Side of Chicago in the Bronzeville neighborhood of Chicago. From roots of southerners moving up north during the Great Migration, The House and Bronzeville are worth the visit due to their rich history and [the food's] rich taste!

8. Rand Red Hots

Now I may be a bit bias but this is my hometown classic and favorite place to get a hotdog. Besides the pizza, the Chicago hotdog is a staple, banking on knowing we don't need any ketchup near them. Rand's, based off the street, is a reletively new buisiness, starting about 7 years ago, and has gone strong since. Being a very small shop, the 50's drive in vibe paired with workers who love their customers, this Des Plaines' based establishment (a Northwest Suburb surround Chicago) was the perfect way to finish off the list.

Happy travels and happy eating!