It's Never Too Late, So Here Are 15 Resolutions Everyone Should Pursue In The New Year

If you are seeking an altruistic, productive, and prosperous year, adopt a few of these New Year's resolutions for 2019.

10

I believe these actions can contribute to additional gratitude and happiness in our lives (and others) while ultimately establishing indispensable habits for success.

1. Wake up earlier.

Photo by Benjamin Voros on Unsplash

A common discipline across most successful people is the time they get their day started. There must be some rationale behind this habit as Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson commits to daily workouts at 4 am and the CEO of Apple begins his day at 3:45 am. Although you don't have to commit to set your alarm that early, I do encourage you to wake up at least 30 minutes to an hour earlier than you have in the past--plus, this will give you the leverage you need to achieve the rest of your resolutions.

2. Start a gratitude journal.

Photo by gabrielle cole on Unsplash

A gratitude journal is especially helpful on days where nothing seems to be going 'right' because browsing through your notes can help you gain some clarity and refresh your perspective.

3. Put yourself first sometimes.

Or as Ariana Grande says: Just keep breathin' and breathin' and breathin' and breathin'.

Photo by Victor Garcia on Unsplash

Come to understand that it is not selfish for you to prioritize your own mental and physical health. Allocate time in your daily or weekly schedule where you have full permission to solely focus on your own development, ambitions, or relaxation. This set time can be dedicated to exercising (if it isn't already in your daily routine), reading a new book, taking a bubble bath, or just some necessary alone time.

4. Learn a new skill or find a new hobby.

You go unleash your inner Bob Ross.

Photo by Tim Arterbury on Unsplash

Whether it's a new artistic skill like painting or photography, a new workout style like yoga and pilates, or learning to play an instrument, put your excuses aside and go for it.

5. Get involved in the community/volunteer.

Photo by Perry Grone on Unsplash

Make the time to give back to others or serve a purpose bigger than your own because volunteering will create timeless memories for you and those you are delivering kindness to. Remember, what goes around comes around.

6. Make new friends.

Photo by Ivana Cajina on Unsplash

Your circle of friends undoubtedly contributes to who you are becoming. Take a look around you and ponder: Are your closest friends holding you back from achieving your dreams or are they encouraging you to become better?

7. Read a new book.

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

If you're not an avid reader, then try an audiobook! Either way, reading/listening is a gift that keeps on giving by constantly expanding your vocabulary, imagination, and wisdom.

8. Spend quality time with your loved ones.

Photo by Hian Oliveira on Unsplash

Time is the only thing you can't get back; use yours wisely.

9. Be in the moment.

https://www.smartsign.com/humorous-turn-off-cell-phone-signs-labels

This action goes hand in hand with #8. Cherish the time you have and make as many memories as you can because we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

10. Get out of your comfort zone.

Photo by Samuel Zeller on Unsplash

Self-limiting beliefs are the downfall to all progress. If you want something you've never had, then you must do something you have never done.

11. Keep your word.

Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Don't taint your credibility or integrity by overcommitting your time, work load, or leadership capabilities. It is often better to be frank from the start instead of discrediting yourself in professional or personal relationships.

12. Be kinder to yourself.

Photo by Mikail Duran on Unsplash

All in all, you are going to make mistakes this year and next year...and every other year to come. But during your journey, it is crucial that you remain kind to yourself. Trust me, you won't get very far if the motif of your self-talk is pessimism and doubt. Change your internal narrative and you can change your life!

13. Practice affirmations.

Affirmations are a conscientious and structured discipline you can practice to rebuild the belief system you hold for yourself. The great thing about affirmations is that they are personalized by you - ultimately reassuring that you have control of your present circumstances and future. Affirmations can encourage you to strive for a healthier, more confident internal narrative daily.

14. Be kind to others.

Photo by Nathan Lemon on Unsplash

Love and kindness are never wasted. So strive to be a light for someone else (it may be the drive of inspiration you need to become a better version of yourself this year).

15. Replace a bad habit with a healthy discipline.

https://unsplash.com/photos/lzcKZlVPYaU

Everyone has that habit they've been meaning to kick for the past few years. So let this be your sign to get to work. For some constructive tips on how to start replacing your bad habits, take a look at this article.

Yes, the new year is a perfect opportunity to jump on your goals and get moving, but it is important to acknowledge that we can only juggle so many resolutions at once. So let me be the one to remind you, if you overcommit you will get discouraged. Instead, prioritize two to three of these habits at a time so you can truly commit and soon harvest the benefits they will ensue.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year with the hope that you will have many blessings in the year to come!